Throat burned out or not???

Rich. Where is Sean located?
I contacted WBY first thing after I found the best group at 100ybs with expensive factory ammo was 2". Their response was as disappointing as the weapon! WBY would be happy to rebarrel but original spec's ONLY! 1 in 10 twist with free bore of AT LEAST .378! 6 to 8 month turn a round.. oh and by the way if anything has been done to the stock we will have to replace it first. I said like glass bedding and they repeated, if anything! Total cost estimate about 1465. A wee bit on the ridiculous side! So barrel replacement is the most current option.
AIRBORNE

If your rifle truly is a 1:10" twist, then that's what it should be.

This is what I've learned using several Weatherby chamberings in Model 70's.
Load to within .010" of max mag length, test groups, seat shorter in .010" increments until 'book' spec or minimum cartridge length. You WILL find a sweet spot doing this.
If not, then seat to within .010" if max mag length and TUNE the powder charge.
Every Weatherby under 375 I have have had best results with slower than traditional powders. These have been.
RE25, H1000, IMR 7828, Retumbo, RE33, US869 and H50BMG. There was also a powder here (AR 2214) that was surplas 20mm cannon powder that was 150fps faster than anything else available at the time and my 270 Weatherby was pushing 150's above 3350fps.

I also used powders like H4831, IMR 4831 and RE22, but the above listed powders were much, much better in accuracy and velocity.

Cheers.

Magnum manic thanks for the information.
My coal to the rifling is 3.767. For smooth operation of shells from mag I have coal of 3.365. I have used rl-22, rl-25, rl-26, 7828ssc, magpro, H-1000, imr-4831 and best groups to date, about 2+", are with 150gr bullet and imr-4350, CCI-250 primers.
AIRBORNE

I just did a work up with the same rifle. tried a lot of combinations to get 1 moa out of it. Check the twist- the one I worked on was a 10 and it wouldnt shoot any bullets over 160 grains
I agree , if your running hot loads just so you can push a heavier bullet faster your just gonna wear it out sooner.

There are other videos on youtube about DIY re-crowning , but i would seriously stay way from any that do not use a pilot , because it sounds like you need to repair yours not polish it

heres a link , for tools about 80 bucks free shipping over 49 bucks - about the same as a gunsmith would charge to do it and you getta keep the tools , or sell em .. if i had some id borrow em to you

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...ts/12-flute-muzzle-chamfer-set-prod41627.aspx

I"ve used the piloted crown cutter from Midway and it worked very well for me.

Use plenty of oil and keep the barrel level or angled slightly down to keep filings from getting inside the bore and you're good to go.

I would be much better off letting a professional do that. Like that one out in Oregon, seems to be a straight shooting type of guy.
AIRBORNE

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.