Thoughts on the 3.5-10 VX3I CDS

Kcco

I'm in the process of putting together a general purpose elk rig that will be used in timber and mountain hunting. I'm setting a ballpark limit of around 600 yards and want to know your experience with 10x at that range, i like having lower power options for still hunting but don't want to cheat myself or the animal at longer pokes. should i be considering the 4.5-14 or just bite the bullet and spring for a VX5HD?

I have thr 3.5 x 10 and am happy with it, however i do wish i would have gone for the 4.5x14 after looking through one.

The 10 isnt quite enough for my eyes to see holes on paper at 100 reliability anymore.

I have both Leupolds you mentioned the 3.5-10 and the 4.5-14, and either will be a great choice for you. You might also consider the Tract Toric 2-10x42, I just recently added my review of that one on here and I feel that it is a better option than the VX3i. This coming from a life long die hard Leupold fan too. The VX5 was high on my list too, but I never did get the chance to see one in person before I found the Tract.

Also, for me I find that 10x is all I need for the range your considering. I never use the full 14x on that one, usually stop around 10-11x with it.

Just a consideration, depending on your age and how long you are going to keep the scope your eyes probably aren't Going to get better with time. You may find you grow into the 4.5-14.:rolleyes:

Buck 2013 436 meters 7mm RemMag.jpg

I shot a mule buck at 477 yards with a VX3 2x10x40 CDS.
On 10X with a bipod I could see him flip over with 4 hooves in the air.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.