Thoughts on 264WM vs 6.5 PRC for new rifle build/buy?

entoptics

I'm in the process of shopping for 2 "rifles". 300 WM and 6.5 something...I have a 300WM Savage LRH with a Shilen bbl, that's starting to show it's round count. I may buy a whole new 300WM, and use the action/stock for a 6.5 barrel, or rebarrel the Savage in 300 WM and buy a whole new 6.5 rifle...

This rifle would be for heavy bullets only (≥ 0.600 B.C.), and used as an all around target/deer rifle, and perhaps backup rifle for elk in a pinch. The goal is to have a gun that will roughly equal the trajectory of my 300WM with 208s, with less recoil for inexperienced shooters, and perhaps a little cost savings for ammo. I'd like to run it on the mild-medium end, to preserve the barrel.

My dilemma is that I have a ~180 brand new 264 Win Mag brass (Winchester), that a friend bought for his rifle (for me to reload), that he'll never use due to failing health. I also have ~200 2X-3X fired 7mm Mag brass (Rem/Win) for a rifle I no longer own, that could be readily turned into 264 WM. I also already have 264 dies, though I'd likely invest in better ones regardless.

Some folks claim the PRC equals the 264, others say 264 whoops the PRC. It's hard to judge which is true, as bbl length, bullet choice, OAL, etc will dramatically affect the numbers.

I'm looking for real world numbers on 6.5 PRC vs 264 Win Mag, and if it's worth trying the PRC despite the substantial stash of brass I have for a 264.

Thoughts?

First of all, the PRC will not even come close to a 264WM loaded to equal pressures. You're probably looking at 200' difference. What will come close is a 6.5 ss which will load shorter than a PRC will. Since you're looking for the 2 you mentioned though, I would go prc over the wm if you want to shoot much because you will get double the barrel life and cheaper ammo.

First of all, the PRC will not even come close to a 264WM loaded to equal pressures. You're probably looking at 200' difference. What will come close is a 6.5 ss which will load shorter than a PRC will. Since you're looking for the 2 you mentioned though, I would go prc over the wm if you want to shoot much because you will get double the barrel life and cheaper ammo.
The load data I've seen indicates there's not much difference in the PRC vs WM. Any data on how fast the same bbl will shoot something like a 147 ELD?

If the WM is as fast as you suggest, I'd likely be running it on the mild side, so presumably barrel life would be OK.

I'll be reloading only, so price won't be much different between the two, and since I have all the brass on hand, the 264 would actually be considerably cheaper for me.

The load data I've seen indicates there's not much difference in the PRC vs WM. Any data on how fast the same bbl will shoot something like a 147 ELD?

If the WM is as fast as you suggest, I'd likely be running it on the mild side, so presumably barrel life would be OK.

I'll be reloading only, so price won't be much different between the two, and since I have all the brass on hand, the 264 would actually be considerably cheaper for me.
The prc will run a 147 at about 3000 with a 26" barrel and the WM would make 3200'.

The prc will run a 147 at about 3000 with a 26" barrel and the WM would make 3200'.
Holy smokes. That's ~150-200 fps faster than the 264WM data for a 140 gr from Nosler's and Hodgden's websites. 3000 fps in 6.5 seems high too based on the same sources.

If that's the case, I'd be inclined to run the 264 at mild speeds around 3000 fps or so.

Run the 264 at full power and in 5 or 10 years replace the barrel when necessary.
Not like you are talking about spending your children's inheritance.
Or go with the SS.
Fair enough, but I've barbecued the Shilen barrel on my Savage in about a year. She still shoots, but there are ominous signs, including 12 lbs of missing H1000, that lead me to believe she's on the outs. If the burden is split across two rifles though, I'm sure each would last twice as long.

Even 3000 fps with a ≥ 0.65 B.C. bullet would reach out all I need or want for this particular tool.

Entopics, you can expect to run the 147 gr ELDM at or around 3150 fps at about 1/4" accuracy out of a 264 Win Mag, with pretty decent barrel life. I get that out of a Sendero I own.
If you really want to go PRC, you could, just sell off what you got for 264 Win Mag.
Presented with your options, I'd still go with the 264 Win Mag, but then I've had a long love affair with that cartridge.

Been shooting and hunting with the 264WM for years. I own other 6.5's but the Win Mag is still my fav. Shoots flatter, hits harder. Run a quality 140gr and you will be fine. I have burned through one barrel but that's the case with any overbore cartridge. It took me a long time to get there. Cleaning practices, etc have a lot to do with that. Mine are hunting rifles so I don't usually heat them up too much. I ran some of the round nose Hornady 150's for pigs at about 400yds last spring....wow! Thor's Hammer!
In the long run....buy what makes you happy! Good shooting!

My 264WM is running 3070-3080 on the node. 143ELDX and Retumbo down a 26" Bartlien. Throat pushed to load 3.340 OAL and .025 off lands. 1/4 MOA vertical.
But I've got a PRC being built right now. 24" Bartlien. I'm expecting 3000+ velocity out of the shorter barrel but........RL26. Luckily I have 6-7 lbs.
So, in answer to OP, build both!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.