This wolf made it quite a ways...

I was at the Pine Ridge Indian Rez in South Dakota in June 2012. A collared wolf from Yellowstone showed up dead beside the road while we were there. Never did hear if a car got him or a Lakota bullet. He had made a pretty long trip, probably over the Bighorn Mountains. Smoke a pack a day.

More to the story: This wolf was originally spotted on the North Kaibab (north rim of the Grand Canyon in AZ). This is prime mule deer habitat and a lot of trophy bucks come out of here each year. Can you imagine how nervous hunters and the AZ Game & Fish were? Can you imagine the relief when...???

I think this might be a good thing for hunters. Unfortunately WY, ID, and MT game is not worth as much as UT or AZ game. Maybe someone with enough money will get in the fight and get something done about this epidemic. I have lived and hunted in NW WY all my life, and to think I have actually contemplated not putting in for tags in these areas makes me sick.

When working as a wildlife office, Fisher was stocked at Tea Creek, Williams River, West Virginia, 3 or 4 years later a male Fisher from this stocking was caught by a trapper in Vermont with WV ear tag intact. After a 700+ mile trip. Comparing a fisher's leg length to a Wolf's leg length, A dang Yellowstone wolf could be about anywhere in The lower 48 or way up in Canada. The wolf stocking in Yellowstone would make old President Teddy Rough Rider Roosevelt kick the dirt off his grave, After all the work he done in getting wolf removed for that area to protect game and livestock now the tree huggers undone it all.

Most likely the wolf "migrated" to the Kaibab in some bunny huggers / enviroMENTAList's Subaru or the back of a USFS Dodge Ram.

As one who has hunted central Idaho since the 80's and seen the almost total eradication of deer and elk due to the wolf, I cannot recommend strongly enough that all hunters fight the over expansion of the wolf. In the big meadows in ID where we limited out on elk in the 80's in 2 days, all that remains are old elk wallows. Now our party of 5 feels lucky if we even see an elk. Federal fish and game should be required to limit the wolf to their agreed upon number.

A while ago on another site a map was posted up of wolf and mountain lion migrations and their "home" really seemed to be anywhere there was a mountain from Colorado half way up through Canada and than circled back down. Several circles trough CO, WY, MT, ID and back through the original location where they where collared and then back up. They just roam. I know a young lion collared in the black hills made its way through MN, WI and ended up I think getting hit by a car in NJ? Somewhere out east. If you have game, they will find you!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.