This may help those NR wanting to hunt in WY

Tikkamike

I get a TON of PM's from people asking advice on where to apply for here in WY. I spend a lot of time researching different units, draw odd etc and there are a couple for you non residents that would work out really well. I dont mind sharing this info because the resident draw system and the non resident are totally seperate here. everyone in the world outside of wyoming could apply for a unit I want and it wouldnt affect my drawing odds at all. so it makes it convenient to help some of my fellow long range hunters out there without shooting myself in the foot.
There are some sleeper units out there that are hard to draw for a resident (for good reason) that a NR can draw pretty easily with special draw and/or minimal points. The one I have seen some good bucks come out of is deer unit 157. there is a good deal of private which scares people away but what they dont realize is the land owners around there are usually willing to give permission for free or for a very nominal fee. So I was looking at this area and see it is butted up against the reservation which means there is very little pressure over there so the deer sleep up there then come down into the fields and feed. I have seen some HUGE bucks right in there on my weekly drive through. when I go down and deliver pumps.
The other thing I get ask a LOT is where can I combine a deer and antelope hunt? that is a hard thing to find where you have a good chance at good animals in both units.. well unit 97 antelope is the same exact area as 157 deer. and there are some pretty dang good bucks in there.. not a lot of monsters but 15"+ is common. Again its a sleeper area and the private land seems to discourage a lot of NR hunters.

Another area that eludes a lot of hunters is 118 deer. easy to draw on a special draw or with minimal points
and antelope area 82 is equally as easy to draw. the areas are right across the road from one another and the seasons dont overlap but you can hunt the end of antelope and and when it ends 118 deer opens on the 15 of october. so if planned right that would be a good combo hunt.
118 deer has some good hunter management and some good BLM above grazing pastures so you can catch them moving to and from bedding areas. I have hunted both of these areas with success.

Hope this little bit of info helps as some of you are trying to decide where to apply next year.

Mike,

I looked this all up after you posted this. The drawing odds for a Non-resident preference point draw for Antelope in Unit 97-1 can be drawn 100% with as little as 2-3 preference points. The Non-resident preference point draw for Deer in Unit 157-1 can be drawn 100% with 1-2 preference points. This is without even having to fork out the extra cash for the SPECIAL draw.

With the Special draw for Non-Residents for both of those units, in Unit 97-1 Antelope, you can draw with 0 pts 60% and deer in Unit 157-1 with 0 pts 44% or have 1 pref. point for each and draw everytime with the special draw!

That is definitely some good information to have for us Non-residents to have both options of getting a deer and goat and not have to put in for the special draw if we are willing to wait a year or two! Or just go all in for a year and have a chance at a goat and deer all at once!

Yes, that's exactly how I'm reading it. Wy usually is pretty hard on NR especially $$ wise but both of these pairs would be fun hunts for a nr just wanting to make the most of a hunt out here.

Thanks for posting this Mike. I just started researching, planning and acquiring points this year. I will definitely keep this in mind when applying in the future. A WY combo hunt could be a lot of fun.

Mike , I am trying to put together a elk hunt for sept. 2015 , any suggestions would be greatly appreciated . I have been hunting in CO . for a few years in second rifle but the snow and sheer numbers of hunters is unrelenting . I hired an outfitter for a spring bear hunt in WY this past spring and after seeing the state would like to try elk on my own but figuring out the odds and reasonable hunting areas has gotten me cross eyed. My reasoning for a late sept hunt is work related.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ps have been looking at the Alpine area but open to any suggestions.

I'm not looking for a trophy hunt just a marginal area will do maybe a cow hunt. I have a old friend who's work picks back up
In October each year and that is my motivation for a Sept. hunt. Are there any areas that can be drawn with no preference points or possibly the special draw.

I am not sure how hard the general elk areas are to draw. Might be worth looking at some of those. Any limited quota elk tag is going to take some points unless its a cow tag. any limited quota cow tag should be pretty good. a lot of guys like area 61 for cows late in the season. as far as september you are pretty limited. Unless you want to hunt archery.. then I think most of them are open for archery in september.

Not trying to discourage people from putting in for area 157 deer, and 97 Antelope however, the herd numbers are way down compared to a few years back. We had a bad year of EHD (call the G&F department in Lander to verify) and the tag numbers have been cut back and there maybe more tags cut back for 2015. Two years ago we had whitetail all over the place, this year I didn't see one on the farm :-( and the Mule Deer aren't doing much better.

Scratch

Mike
I believe you are correct and I couldn't agree more! Hopefully the herds will rebound sooner then later. It would help if the G&F would cut back more on the doe and fawn tags for at least three years but, you know the story........$$$$$$

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.