For those who've hunted Colorado

DakotaFire101

Its my first year living here and first season hunting here. I have a muley tag and elk tag for unit 481 and was wondering how many Colorado hunters carry a backup handgun for close encounters of the bear kind. I've hunted western South Dakota all my life where there's really no threat of being on the menu. Is it practical with a 12 lb rifle and a 20 lb pack to carry 4lbs of revolver on your hip? Or is the danger not really there? Thanks

Only if you are sure nothing can go wrong with the 12 Lb-der.gun)

Danger is really there where I hunt. You won't hear the puddy cat coming but them and smokey talk alot at night and do leave tracks. 21st year coming and I dropped down to a KelTek 380 and the Spray. You can't signal with spray.lightbulb
Good Luck.

There is a good chance you'll see a bear in the area, I believe you can get an OTC bear tag for the unit you have your elk tag in so there is a chance to get a bonus black bear.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.