Has anyone hunted near Rifle Colorado

Ronin75

I will be hunging outside rifle colorado (zone 33) for the first time this year. I was hoping someone who has hunted this area before would be kind enough to give me some advise as to any specific areas to hunt or stay away from.

Thank you

I am hunting deer. I am waiting to see if I get selected for a buck tag. Will be hunting zone 33 near the Rifle Gap resevior. If dont get selected for a buck tag, how is the elk hunting in that area.

Thank you
Ray

I have hunted the Roan Plateau for the last 10 years. This year I did not pull a buck tag even with a pref point, nor did anyone else in our party. There are plenty of deer to be had in the lower ravines. Elk were more plentiful a few years back but year before last they tore up the migration path installing NG pipelines, and increased NG production. Last year there were a few we bagged 3 cows, a couple of small bulls were harvested by others. I am hoping this year they will be closer to regular numbers. Anyway, on the plateau you will be doing lots of glassing and expect your shots to be 400-600 yards for elk. If you are lucky and get a deer tag find a spot on top ov a ravine above water.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.