This is why I whack coyotes.

Where I'm at here in iowa, we can't seem to get ahead of them. Guys call em and shoot em, other guys snare em or trap em in other types of traps, one guy and his friends kill em like crazy with their wolfhounds, and no matter how many they kill, the next year it's the same old, same old.

My usual reply from Redleg Terril: "Doin' right
Ain't got no end."

" Worms has got to eat same as the buzzards"
"Well Mr Carpet bagger, we got a thing around here called the Missouri boat ride"
Josey Wales

"Hells coming for breakfast"
"Now spit"
Chief Dan George

One of the best movies of all time. They don't make em like that anymore.

Last edited:
"Adaptable" And how! Was driving out to the ranch one night and came up on a yote crossing the road, well he takes off running parallel to the road me along side, clocked him @ 25 mph with a burst when I honked the horn.

"Adaptable" And how! Was driving out to the ranch one night and came up on a yote crossing the road, well he takes off running parallel to the road me along side, clocked him @ 25 mph with a burst when I honked the horn.

I think that a 'yote could maintain a steady 25mph on even ground for a while, but that's probably somewhat faster than long range cruise speed. The bursts to a faster speed are definitely not sustainable, and are only for a short evasive maneuver. If one does that for very long, he's likely to have to stop to catch a breath. In the kind of wide-open spaces that allow that kind of running - like along a fence-line - he might be in trouble if the rifleman is ready.

With friends and family we call coyotes every chance. They can decimate an antelope game Unit. Had a Unit years ago with only two tag/year, the Varmint shooters hit it with several months of heavy hunting. Seven years later there were twenty two tags. Kill em, every one you see.

With friends and family we call coyotes every chance. They can decimate an antelope game Unit. Had a Unit years ago with only two tag/year, the Varmint shooters hit it with several months of heavy hunting. Seven years later there were twenty two tags. Kill em, every one you see.

I agree. They say that antelope are born running, and maybe it is so. But they can't run faster than a coyote until they are pretty good size. When they are the size of jackrabbits, baby antelope are like CANDY to a coyote, because they can't run like a jackrabbit yet. They eat all they can find until the antelope are big enough that the yotes can't catch them. If you shoot as many coyotes as you can, you will definitely save a ton of baby antelope.

Awesome job! My hunting group leases a free range cattle ranch to hunt on. One of the ranch rules is killing coyotes on sight. We are averaging 25 to 30 yotes a year. We have noticed an increase in the numbers of fawns that survive thru the fall. Since the Covid stuff I've gone out 4 times and killed a total of 9 dogs so far. It's looking to be a good year.

Whats evweyones opinion on killing young (puppy size) coyote? I have a littwr of 5 living in a culvert on my property. I do have chickens, havent had any go missing yet, but am worried that if I let the coyote population go unchecked, I will have a problem. I do shoot adult ones.

Whats evweyones opinion on killing young (puppy size) coyote? I have a littwr of 5 living in a culvert on my property. I do have chickens, havent had any go missing yet, but am worried that if I let the coyote population go unchecked, I will have a problem. I do shoot adult ones.
If you wait until their adults and moving around They will just be more difficult to eradicate

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.