Thinking of buying a lathe, how hard is it to chamber a rifle?

If you want a "do it yourself" challenge , why not make a stock by hand from a blank? There's plenty opportunity to "learn something new" with that endeavor. Many, many chamber, few can make a stock by hand from a hardwood blank. A much lower cost in tools, to begin with. I can not begin to put into words the immense satisfaction I got after making my first rifle stock from a nicely figured Black Walnut blank. Even a nicely finished pre-inletted stock, that's properly fit, shaped and finished can be immensely satisfying . Many here will say synthetic are better. I guess that's why those who make the trip to Africa carry wood as much or more than they carry synthetics.
I'll have too keep that in mind , my dad was a stock and gun maker , I have a lot more walnut than plastic. My first custom was a hand made stock masterly done by my dad before he set up a duplicator too speed things up.

Ive been millwright/machining for 30+ yrs, last dozen or so I've been in tool and die shop. I chamber my own barrels as well as any other machining task for building a rifle. I do not do it for anyone other than my immediate family. I do not have a gun smith license or a want to get one. I just like to tinker with it. I have an older Colchester/Clausing lathe and a 2 HP Bridgeport knee mill with CNC servo drives at the house I just picked up a wire EDM machine I am currently installing. I can write G code. The last rifle I had built (fast twist 257 WYBT) I sent to a really good gunsmith to have the work done not because I couldn't do it facts are I do not do it every day and do not know all the best practices to use anymore, but more than that he has established a name by his work in his profession and he's d@mn good.

I say if you have the time and money to invest learning a new skill is never a bad thing. If there is an available class take it see if it is what you thought it would be. I taught both my daughters to run mill, lathe and weld TIG MIG and ARC they both helped me to re-build their first vehicles. One had 91 Toyota 4x4 and the youngest a 1985 4 runner. My youngest is now graduated school and working as a machinist and loves it. Wife thought it was crazy teaching the girls these skills but I told her the same thing, this knowledge would help them out later in life when they least expect it.

I have a little bit of experience of running a lathe, but not much. However, I think I could learn. If I know the basics of running a lathe, is it hard to thread/chamber, install muzzle breaks etc on a lathe? I'm leaning towards buying a grizzly lathe:
As a machinist turned gunsmith, I would this..chambering a barrel is not hard to learn. What is more important is understanding the relationship of all the steps as they relate to headspace. You need to understand how to fix problems caused by YOU and sometimes the machine. Cut chamber too deep (happens sometimes), what needs to be done to correct it and not scrap the job? Cut the barrel tennon too short (this shouldn't be a common oops) can you just move the shoulder or will you have to chase threads? The size and type of lathe/headstock length and through hole bore size will determine if you need to chamber with a steady rest or if you can chamber through the headstock.
Practice, practice, practice. Setup, tear it down and do it again until you can get zero runout between chamber and muzzle consistently.
As for machines. Mine is a 1959 Rockwell 14" tool room lathe that has had 4 people operating since it was new. It's in pristine condition and I added digital to it. Its a solid machine. You don't need a Mathews Precision, but you do need a quality machine. Nothing that has been abused by the knuckle draggers that seem to inhabit a lot of shops. Stay away from the Chinese junk, nothing is easily fixed and they will eventually break. I say this because the many I have used just don't hold tolerance after a few years of use.

As a machinist turned gunsmith, I would this..chambering a barrel is not hard to learn. What is more important is understanding the relationship of all the steps as they relate to headspace. You need to understand how to fix problems caused by YOU and sometimes the machine. Cut chamber too deep (happens sometimes), what needs to be done to correct it and not scrap the job? Cut the barrel tennon too short (this shouldn't be a common oops) can you just move the shoulder or will you have to chase threads? The size and type of lathe/headstock length and through hole bore size will determine if you need to chamber with a steady rest or if you can chamber through the headstock.
Practice, practice, practice. Setup, tear it down and do it again until you can get zero runout between chamber and muzzle consistently.
As for machines. Mine is a 1959 Rockwell 14" tool room lathe that has had 4 people operating since it was new. It's in pristine condition and I added digital to it. Its a solid machine. You don't need a Mathews Precision, but you do need a quality machine. Nothing that has been abused by the knuckle draggers that seem to inhabit a lot of shops. Stay away from the Chinese junk, nothing is easily fixed and they will eventually break. I say this because the many I have used just don't hold tolerance after a few years of use.
Gunsmith work is a labor of love,there's a lot of old gunsmiths that have passed that will not be matched in there trade. My dad was one of them.

I have a little bit of experience of running a lathe, but not much. However, I think I could learn. If I know the basics of running a lathe, is it hard to thread/chamber, install muzzle breaks etc on a lathe? I'm leaning towards buying a grizzly lathe:
There is a TREMENDOUS amount of knowledge needed ! To Properly do what you want to do and do it RIGHT !
1667248546318.png

Another thing that no one has mentioned, machinery can be very dangerous, and they aren't toys. They cut metal and don't know the difference between metal and flesh. If you screw up, in the best case, you'll be needing some stitches. I won't mention the worst case.
Now, let's talk about the 1st $400 barrel you trash or the first $150 reamer that you waited months for that binds and shatters. Just some food for thought.
But it sure is a good feeling when you build a rifle and it shoots 5 shots in a dot.

Send me an email, I will send you a 90 page of chambering discussion by some of the benchrest smiths.

[email protected]

Well many of us began the same way your looking at beginning. If your very into the process and like to compete in shooting sports GO FOR IT. If your looking to learn NRA summer classes at a college that offers gunsmithing classes. Trinidad CO. Denver CO. Oklahoma. Begin there you will need some tools for chambering but you get a chance to learn prior to big monies being invested and you get to chamber a rifle barrel. You also get to discuss with others what equipment you will need. Reality looking at $15,000.00 for all the equipment turn key to go. You can do it cheaper but it will take time and patience. You can typically purchase 2-3 rifles for what you will have in capital cost and some ammo if you choose the right chambering. HAHAHA 😁
Also Gordy Gritters offers classes. I think he is in Florida these days I've taken his classes also learned alot from all of them.

Last edited:
Wow is about all I can say. I won't disagree one bit with any of the above comments.
I wanted a lathe for a long time. I finally bought one and don't regret it one bit. It is a Sheldon and was well taken care of, bought new in 1958 if I recall correctly. I am the third owner.
It has done a lot of task, new and old projects.
As mentioned a mill will come up sooner or later.
I just acquired a small grizzly. No it is not a Bridgeport. I don't have the room or need for one.

You won't learn any younger.
Equipment and tooling won't get any cheaper.

If you think your going to save money, you need to sharpen a pencil.

It falls right there with hand loading. If you think your saving money reloading you are all set to purchase your lathe.

Reloading does not save me any money, it allows me to shoot more.

I don't know how hard it is, but I'm sure you can learn it. I'd just get some bar stock to practice threading. $6K is for the lathe, but you'll have to invest as well in machinists tools and consumeables as well. I have a good buddy that's a T&D maker with 30+ years experience I've picked his brain a few times about this subject. I concluded I was better off buying pre-fit barrels and using a barrel nut on the actions that I could.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but it just isnt for me. Besides buying the lathe and tools, I'd need to wire my shop, as well as probably frame in a dedicated space for it. I have a 40X60 building but it's just one big un-insulated, un-heated open bay.
Thanks for the reinforcement!!
I'd thought about buying a lathe for years, but you are absolutely right about the prefits. For around $300 you can buy a hand lapped stainless tube threaded crowned chambered and ready to screw on and shoot in a variety of calibers,
The only caution with prefits is if you have bedded the action with Devcon/Epoxy you may want to watch that the notches from the barrel nut align with former notches. Not a problem to remove bedding and re-bed. Don't forget the release agent!!