Thinking about THUMBHOLE stock

onehandgunner

I have a Weatherby Vanguard 25-06 with a nice looking factory walnut stock on it now. I would like to replace it with a thumbhole but not the laminated stuff. Does anyone have any ideas. I like nice looking wood. thanks

Re: Thinking about THUMB HOLE stock

I have a Weatherby Vanguard 25-06 with a nice looking factory walnut stock on it now. I would like to replace it with a thumbhole but not the laminated stuff. Does anyone have any ideas. I like nice looking wood. thanks

The problem with Wood Thumbhole stocks is strength. when you remove enough wood to make a
large enough hole for a gloved thumb it weakens it. The laminates are much stronger with the same
hole size and wood removal.

If you do decide on a wood Thumb Hole probably something like Mesquite or English Walnut(something
very dense and strong)would be my choice.

There are some very good looking laminates also that have the feel and weight of good wood.

There are a few stock builders that will laminate fine woods (2,3,5 or more layers that are beautiful)
Joel Russo comes to mind. Give him a call and he can guide you through the process and make you
a beautiful stock if you wish.

Hope this helps.

J E CUSTOM

I never considered the strength aspect but it does make sense. I have looked at the websites for Boyd's and Richards, also read the comments on each from various sites. I will search out Joel. Thanks

I have worked with mesquite, as stock wood,,,, I won't do it again! It can be brittle. It's hard to find a piece big enough, even for a Classic style stock, and a thumbhole require a bigger piece. And, it tends to voids hiden deeply with in it. English walnut, Red Maple, American Black walnut would be my choices, in that order. All are pleanty strong enough for a thumbhole when properly layed out on a suitable blank and properly bedded. Every rifle should be properly bedded to shoot to its best potential. Heavy recoiling rifles (.375 H&H, .300 LAUM, .30/.338, ect.) are not good candidates for thumbholes. The .25/06 is not a heavy recoiling rifle. There are very few good patterns available for a pre-inlet and I know of no "drop-in's" (that are worth having!). Stockmaking commands the most $$$ of any gunsmithing task.

Just make one out of the wood you'd like. I just made one. It is laminated, but it's only 4 layers, so you don't have the "laminated" look. Mine is Hickory, which was a pain in the rear, but I'm happy with the results. I suppose it would depend on how tough your action is to inlet.

Check out the pics on my blog to see what I mean.
My first DIY rifle stock | Mike's hunting blog

I've stocked several rifles with Richards thumbhole stocks from .223 to 300 SAUM. They will reduce the perceived recoil as well as make your shots more consistant. They look great to boot. Good shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.