Thinking about buying a sako s20 in 6.5 prc

JamesWilson5

Any information on the rifle would be greatly appreciated and what would be a good choice of bullets and weight for deer 300 yards and closer . Thanks in advance

Sako's and Tikka's, ARE,.. ALWAYS, a "Good", choice !
Hornady, 143 grain, ELD-X's got my grandson 3,.. DRT Deer, last Fall with his 6.5 PRC.
Berger's 140 gr. Elite Hunting or, 156 gr EOL's would be, great for,.. Elk

How was the terminal wound with the Eld x
2 "Pass Thru's" on the,.. 227 and 278 Yard, shots
The One at, 468 yards was, found, just under, the Hide and about 80% retention of bullet ( 115 grains, Left of, Base and Core ).
Approx., 2" Exits.
So Impressed that, I Bought, 3 Boxes to, use in, My 6.5 Creed. and my First Loads tried, W/ StaBall are, producing, 5/8th MOA groups.

Last edited:
2 "Pass Thru's" on the,.. 227 and 278 Yard, shots
The One at, 468 yards was, found, just under, the Hide and about 80% retention of bullet ( 115 grains, Left of, Base and Core ).
Approx., 2" Exits.
So Impressed that, I Bought, 3 Boxes to, use in, My 6.5 Creed.
I would start with 124 gr hammers and N560 , rl26 N565 , H1000 N165 or H4831sc ,cci200 s work up too pressure and establish a load . You can always play with other Hammers ,Bergers Hornadys etc , but you can establish a load that will work from now on with that combo in excess of 3000fps with that barrel length and most likely even more. 10 too 15 shots and you will have load for any thing from deer too elk.

My son just got a Cabelas demo Sako S20 in 6.5 PRC. His barely had a scratch on it and was an incredible deal. I've heard others since when this was first offered by Cabelas that had a few more scratches on them. My son is 6'4" with long arms. The S20 fits him super well. The S20 model is amazing! I have a Sako Finnlite that I also like. Sako is pretty much a fancy model of Tikka and is an amazing rifle for the $!

In regard to the PRC, it shoots very tight groups and would likely be great for deer, however, if you plan on hunting elk I would highly recommend a 30 cal. If you do a search about whether 6.5 PRC is big enough for elk there is a lot of controversy. If you ask the same question and switch to 30 cal, there is no question the answer is a resounding yes 30 cals are big enough for elk! Take a look at the ballistics, drop, etc. with the same size bullets.

I have a 300 WSM that I've used for everything....including antelope, deer, elk, bear, mtn goat, sheep, moose, etc. Ever since I bought my 300 WSM I've never even considered buying another rifle. I hardly notice my 300 WSM kick. If I could only use 1 rifle for all game species and had the choice between 6.5 PRC and 300 WSM....there is no doubt in my mind I'd pick 300 WSM.

Unfortunately the S20 doesn't come in 300 wsm but is available in 300 winchester. I can guarantee that 300 win shells are a lot easier to find than 6.5 prc but that may change with time?