Thinkin about an new .223

Have both a Ruger and Tikka in 223, both shoot very good. The Tikka hands down has my vote
great tigger, very smooth action, shoot a sub group with most any bullet from 52-75gr.
Easy to set the trigger placed at 2 lbs sweet
The Tikka has my vote and would buy it again......

One thing to keep in mind with a 223 is that military 5.56 and 223 are 2 different cartridges.

There are some interesting and enlightening video's on You-Tube concerning 223's, especially the Mini14 Target and it's long range capabilities.

The Mini14 Target in the video on You Tube hasn't been accurized other than tuning the harmonic balancer to the load.

That Mini 14 Target looks real interesting. I checked out that video and read some other reviews and there seems to be quite a disparity in accuracy performance. Anyone have or shoot one?

I bought a Tikka 223 and it was a nice rifle but I could not get good groups with the 55gr V-max I wanted to shoot for ground hogs due to the 1-8 twist. So I sold it and got a Weatherby Mark 5 Super Preadator Master with the 1-12 twist and it is very accurate. Depending on what you want to shoot just be aware of the different twist rates. Tikka lists a 223 with a 1-12 twist on their web site but they don't import it into the US.

That Mini 14 Target looks real interesting. I checked out that video and read some other reviews and there seems to be quite a disparity in accuracy performance. Anyone have or shoot one?

The accuracy disparity comes from the harmonic balancer and its settings which has to be 'tuned' much like load development to attain the correct barrel harmonics in relationship to bullet flight path.

I actually have reference marks on my barrel where the balancer needs to be set for different loads.

The Mini has always been a gun of average accuracy. The Target attains the accuracy through a different barrel and the balancer.

One thing that is important to me is the Mini is made here (Prescott Arizona), the Tikka is made? Not here.

The accuracy disparity comes from the harmonic balancer and its settings which has to be 'tuned' much like load development to attain the correct barrel harmonics in relationship to bullet flight path.

I actually have reference marks on my barrel where the balancer needs to be set for different loads.

The Mini has always been a gun of average accuracy. The Target attains the accuracy through a different barrel and the balancer.

One thing that is important to me is the Mini is made here (Prescott Arizona), the Tikka is made? Not here.

Tikka & Sako are made i Finnland.

I knew that actually (about Sako and Tikka).... Interestingly, Rugers are manufactured in their new plant in Prescott but the receiver investment castings are cast in their foundry in New England. Strum Ruger is a leader in the investment casting industry btw.

I just favor made in America by American workers when possible, clunky triggers not withstanding (but fixable). I understand Ruger's new series actually has a clean breaking adjustable trigger group, I'll have to try one.

Guess thats why Savage, Henry, Colt, Smith & Wesson, Wilson Combat and Kimber all occupy space in my gun collection.

I called the lgs this afternoon about an Axis. I couldn't find a stainless cammo variety. I looked on the Savage site but didn't see it offered. Anyway apparently it is offered. That would make a nice little truck rifle.

I am not a Ruger fan but I have a stainless M77 that shoorts awesome dirty or clean. Cheap gun that has seen a ton of miles in a truck and saddle scabbord. wears a aftermarket stock for my little short arms a leupold 4x12 and has a little trigger work done. It has flattened a lot of gophers, coyotes.....well before I get a whole other debate started, lets just say it has been very good to me and goes bang a lot more times a year then all my other iron combined!

As does my mini14 target (shoot, go bang alot).

It's cheap to shoot compared to a 3 series and I've deer hunted with it before with Hornady A max's. It's all about shot placement and the Target will put it exactly where I point it. Thats all important with a 22 caliber bullet. I'll probably take some flak for that. Lots of people aren't fond of deerhiunting with a 223. My freezer attests to it's killing power.

It will never reach out like 338 but it sure is cheaper to go bang with. But then I hunt with a handgun too.

plus one more for the stevens there great guns to start with and you can upgrade as you see fit here is a pic of mine as is now still want a shaw barrel but it shoots to good now

993aef57.jpg

gun)

P.S. i put the stock on it

You've given me a great idea. My wife disdains mounts in the house, on the walls, especially full mounts. She 'imagines' the eyes are looking at her.... (silly I think) but, it is her house but it is my shop. No issue with putting mounts there.

Nice stock on the Stevens BTW.

...and nice fedora on the mount. Gives it character......

I have a friend who has the Thompson precision hunter in .223. It is an excellent setup. Shoots ragged holes, out of the box. Good stock, good trigger. I think its a great value.

I recently bought a Sako stainless laminated for my girlfriend. Easy to load with it's small action and very accurate - 1/4" 3 shot groups are not uncommon with 35gr and 40gr Hornady super-performance ammo, although muzzle velocity is considerably lower than the packet claims. The trigger breaks very cleanly, adjustable between 2 and 4 lb's and quality mounts are easy to fit.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.