New Prairie Dog Shooter asking about 223Rem 55gr JHP TULAMMO for his FIRST Hunt

In 22-caliber 1:12 twist I prefer the 35-gr V-Max to anything else. In .204 I shoot nothing but 32-gr V-Max. I would think the 35-gr would do fine in your 1:14 barrel but I haven't tried them.

I think there are few 'rules' about what one may shoot at prairie dogs, shoot whatever. I'm not a FMJ advocate at all, not many pennies saved, ricochet potential.

I don't see how a 55 grain will stabilize but not a 53 in a 1-14" twist 22-250, but whatever. I'd prefer my own testing at the range, for accuracy.

As i stated sd44.. I don't know either, but Hornady manual says they won't and they ''D O N ' T''..
After seeing /shooting for myself l will have to agree with them... They MAKE the 53VMAX, so l guess
they should ''K N O W''.
Why not give em a call sd44.. Ask them... They might tell you ;)

I have been using Black Hills ammo for several years (40gr vmax). Very consistent and accurate. I reload too, and take a case of the black hills for backup. Good Luck

The Tula 55gr hp was not accurate enough out of my heavy varmint barrel~2.4" 5 shot groups at 125 yards. They shot a little better out of my sporter barrel, ~1.5" slow 5 shot group at 100 yards. Never tried on prairie dogs because they stay 150 yards out in my area. The Tula did take a coyote at 60ish yards with a head shot.

The Fiocchi varmint tip shot better in both rifles and turned the prairie dogs into olympians. Hornady Superformance worked even better.

Thanks Guy50... Finally THE answer to my question... Kinda hard to find Tula Right now anyway.
My new hunter got some Fiocche 55gr VMAX ammo... Trip is a bit lffy at present.. The outfitter/guide
has yet to cancel... Will have to wait and see how this KUNG FLU goes

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.