Thinkin about an new .223

You've given me a great idea. My wife disdains mounts in the house, on the walls, especially full mounts. She 'imagines' the eyes are looking at her.... (silly I think) but, it is her house but it is my shop. No issue with putting mounts there.

Nice stock on the Stevens BTW.

...and nice fedora on the mount. Gives it character......
thanks it the cheapest one i could fine ;-} but a little glass and some pillers and it on power with any other ;-}

Thanks guys

Anyone have a Savage Hog Hunter in ,223? I am more interested in ground hogs and varmints than hogs. Just wondering if anyone has one. Seem pretty reasonable in price. I like the accutrigger, 20inch barrel, and iron sights. It's also has a medium threaded barrel. Personally I would like a detachable mag but..........
Anyway what do you guys think?

For $100 more you could get the CZ carbine with a 5 round clip.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_63_971/products_id/32400
I bought a Stevens(the Hog hunter is basicly a Stevens with a med barrel and acutrigger) and CZ american a few years ago both in 223.....I no longer own the Stevens but they can bury me with the little 527 CZ!!
The Savage Axis comes with a *** clip,god awfull trigger and a cheap price tag but it will probably hit what your aiming at:D
This Mossberg looks like it might fit what your looking for but will it shoot=dont know?
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_758/products_id/79796

For $100 more you could get the CZ carbine with a 5 round clip.
CZ 527 Carbine .223 Rem $557.00 SHIPS FREE
I bought a Stevens(the Hog hunter is basicly a Stevens with a med barrel and acutrigger) and CZ american a few years ago both in 223.....I no longer own the Stevens but they can bury me with the little 527 CZ!!
The Savage Axis comes with a *** clip,god awfull trigger and a cheap price tag but it will probably hit what your aiming at:D
This Mossberg looks like it might fit what your looking for but will it shoot=dont know?
Mossberg MVP VAR 18 HB 223 LAM 10RD $475.00 SHIPS FREE

Ok thanks I'll check it out. Is the trigger adjustable? If not do you know the weight of the pull, and how does it break for ya?

On of the reasons for the Savage Hog Hunter was the acutrigger. I looked at the Axis and had the same thought you have. I figure I would probably have to put a trigger in it so it was cheaper to go with the Hog Hunter and be done with it.

I just went to youtube to see Hickock45's review. Man that is a nice little rifle. That is defiantly in the running. I think it gives me just what I am lookin for. A little more than I wanted to spend but..........

The CZ has a set trigger on it and is totaly adjustable This thing is SWEET! The trigger can be adjusted down to around a 1-1.5 lbs and when you push the trigger forward to set it=ozs
The CZ sporter weight 223 is my main pririe dog gun these days.Sure the barrel heats up but put in the shade it cools a lot faster than a varmint barrel and does not walk all over as it heats up.
Cost me dang near twice as much as the Stevens but worth every dime!!
I've got three 223 Savage barrels laying around here that are going to be put on an action,checked for groups and sold acordingly to help finance a Tika or another CZ.
The CZ's and Tika's have spoiled me:D

The CZ has a set trigger on it and is totaly adjustable This thing is SWEET! The trigger can be adjusted down to around a 1-1.5 lbs and when you push the trigger forward to set it=ozs
The CZ sporter weight 223 is my main pririe dog gun these days.Sure the barrel heats up but put in the shade it cools a lot faster than a varmint barrel and does not walk all over as it heats up.
Cost me dang near twice as much as the Stevens but worth every dime!!
I've got three 223 Savage barrels laying around here that are going to be put on an action,checked for groups and sold acordingly to help finance a Tika or another CZ.
The CZ's and Tika's have spoiled me:D

PM sent

I just bought a new Marlin X7VH .223. Less than 400.00
It's a plain Jane with a plastic stock. After break in, this rifle holds the spot at
100 yards and 200 yards. the rifle comes with and adjustable trigger and heavy
barrel.

At the price paid, I can afford to get a Stock from Boyd's Stocks.
I like their Prairie Hunter in Walnut.

Ronrx1

Mossberg MVP in .223, you can always get a small mag for it if mag length is an issue.

I stated previously, I bought a Savage 11 in 223 and it's a tack driver out of the box sending Hornady SPBT's in 55 grain.

But then I like Savage rifles in general.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.