Thinkin about an new .223

I have only shot it this winter , around 100 rounds in an hours time at the farm I shoot at here in Wisconsin . Outside temp was around 30 degrees it didn't warm up to much in the cold temps. I wouldn't know how it would be in the summer, but I am going to find out this summer in WY. Pdog shoot'n at a friends ranch. I always bring 2 guns with me so they can cool down a bit. I would also look at the Savage Axis under $300.00 Boyds stock $100.00 some clean up on the trigger and you have another sub moa rifle on the cheap.

Yeah headed that direction this summer my self. That's good practice to take a couple of rifles. Last time i was out it was hot as the devil.. I was up in SD. Anyway...I read the barrels heated up fast. Of course you never know who your talking when reading reviews so know some don't. They all heat the question is to what degree. No pun. LOL

The Mossy is one of the rifles I am considering since it is chambered for 5.56. I am considering Savages also. Actually high on the list but I do like the 5.56 chambering and the larger capacity mag of the Mossy. My only concern is how it shoots and functions. If I can get it to shoot sub moa I would be a happy camper. Not sure why others don't chamber them for 5.56 but there must be a reason.

I have the MVP Varmint , been shooting it for about 2 months now. loves 62gr. with Varget, shoots 1.2 inch groups at 200 yards. I am a Savage fan just thought I would try something different and couldn't be happier. The trigger adjust down to just under 3 lbs. for an out of the box rifle it shoots surprisingly well.

When I was shopping for a 223 The The MVP Varmint and the X7VH, because of
budget restraints were my top two choices. The MVP has a lot going for it, a
wood stock and a removable Magazine.

The X7VH has a 26" heavy barrel, adjustable trigger and two pillar mounting under
the receiver, floating barrel with a 9-1 twist.

I chose the X7VH.

When I was shopping for a 223 The The MVP Varmint and the X7VH, because of
budget restraints were my top two choices. The MVP has a lot going for it, a
wood stock and a removable Magazine.

The X7VH has a 26" heavy barrel, adjustable trigger and two pillar mounting under
the receiver, floating barrel with a 9-1 twist.

I chose the X7VH.

Just went to the Marlin site to take a look. They don't have a .223 listed. Maybe a new model?? Closest thing is a 22-250.

The Mossberg also has the 1 in 9 twist 24 inch Varmint contour barrel. I took the mag release out and welded an extension on it for easier mag release , makes a big difference with gloves on.

Found a place that has the Mossberg MVP Patrol in stock. Gonna try to take a look at it next week. It has a little shorter barrel than I would like. Anyone have any exp with this rifle???
Anyway someone mentioned they wish the predator came with a full length scope mount. I did see a place where they are available.

Thumbs and Gman338

The difference between the X7VH 22-250 and the 223 other than caliber is
the 223 holds 5 + 1 shells.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys. Good bad or indifferent I bought a Savage 11/111 Prairie Dog. It's the one Cabela's sells. Just about what I was hoping to fine. Anyway haven't shot it yes but need glass.

You guys that hunt prairie dogs, what are you using for optics? I'm not a rich man so 1k optics are not even worth the time to type. I need a good bang for the buck scope that will allow me to reach out 300 to 350 yards. That's a long way for me. I know the cheap scopes won't cut it. I tried them. On the other hand I would like to stay in the 200 to 300 dollar area. Any suggestions for a scope that will deliver the mail where I point it? I'll start another thread but if you have any suggestions I'm listening.

thanks for the help

I like the Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16x great glass, good performance and about $560 at Midway. I realize this is a good bit higher price than you are looking for but if you have some flexibility on budget, then the scopes you find in the $500 range will not be regretted!

That said, if your $300 cap is firm, then some points I would look for:
1. a 30mm tube will give you more adjustment for long range shooting.
2. good glass is more important than objective diameter for light gathering.
3. skip the illuminated reticles in this price range- you will often have to sacrifice more useful features for this option.
4. check the weight and dimensions of the scope, Millet's TRS-1 ($325) for example is 32oz. (heavy) and very large.

Good luck and visit a store where you can look through some options!

For what it's worth, Planet Optics has a sale on Barska Optics 10x40-50. 309.00

The optics are surprising good. 1k yards no problem. I use one on my marlin
223 X7VH.

SWFA has a close out on vortex viper hs 6x24 x 50 for $399 now. I have one on my savage 110 6.5 creedmoor it works pretty good out to 600 yards for me. Check out SWFA sample list there are always some good deals . I also have swfa 10x42 on a 243 $299. if you can live with a fixed power I have shot this out to 750 yards , not much field of view at 100 yards but great glass for the money, check out other reviews of swfa scopes . if this is going to be a dedicated pdog gun. the fixed power scope works. but if you are going to use it for anything that you have to follow a variable power is a much better option. I have 4 Vortex scopes and 1 swfa I really like them the same. some are ffp and sfp, Each has a different purpose. I hope this helps with you decision.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.