Things to do in Texas?

esshup

I'm going to fly down and visit a friend in the DFW area around the 2nd weekend in May. One of his ponds is managed for trophy bass and we'll spend some time on it. I plan on a 4 or 5 day trip, so after fishing and bs'ing that'll leave at least 2 and probably 3 days for sightseeing. I know that I want to see the Alamo, the Buckhorn Saloon, and maybe swing by the Fort Worth Stockyards, but other than that I'm pretty much open to suggestions. I'm more of a country boy than a big city boy if that's any help.

If it were me I'd be on my way to th y-bar ranch down by Tilden to do some Hog hunting. Great people, accomidations, food and hunting. And for after the hunt they have a self serve slushie machine that's got margiritas in it.

I have a pretty good feeling that Hog hunting will be on the agenda as well as Bass fishing. The "farm" is around 1300 ac., and I know that like most people down there he has a hog problem as well. I'm packing light because I'm hoping a cooler will be making the trip home as part of the luggage.:D

Better get you a map. From DFW to the Alamo is more that a day trip. Depending on where you are leaving DFW from you are looking at a 4 to 5 hour drive - one way. It has been a while since I was at the Alamo but as I recall it was not worth driving 10 hours to see. The Buckhorn Saloon might be interesting if you are there already. Similar the Stockyards in Ft Worth and Westend in Dallas might be good for dinner but I would not plan too much time for there.

I was born and raised in Dallas and quit frankly I can't think of many good reasons to sight see there. I now live about 4 hours north (close to Oklahoma City) and the only reason I go down there is family and Cabelas in Fort Worth. There is also a Bass Pro northwest of DFW airport. Hitting both is a day well spent.

If fishing is your thing, hire a guide on Lake Fork, about 2 hours east of Dallas. You might just catch yourself a 10 to 14 pounder, it happens just not to most. Or book a guide for striped bass on Texoma. About 1.5 hours north of Dallas. Book a good guide for 1\2 a day and your party will all catch limits (I think is 10 each) and the guides don't fish. Sizes will range from a couple of pounds to maybe 10 to 12 pounds (no great big fish but 4 and 5 pounders are common). It is fun if your are into catching fish after fish and not working to hard for them. The guides will clean and bag your fish for you.

If you are interested, the JFK stuff in downtown Dallas is okay, not great but okay. If the Texas Rangers are in town and you like baseball (or have never been to a big league game) that is a relaxing time with good friends.

The thing to keep in mind is how far apart things are in the DFW area and in Texas in general. It can easy take 4 hours to drive from the east side of Dallas to the west side of Ft. Worth at the wrong time of day. Traffic can be and most often is horrible.

If I think of something interesting I will re-post later. Have fun and watch what part of town you go to.

Rick:

Thanks. I was advised of the exact thing that you mentioned, the long drive. But, for $49.00 I can catch a flight from DFW to San Antonio, and since I'll not need a car until I leave DFW, I think I'll hop on a plane, grab a car in San Antonio and leave for home from there.
I might get a big Largemouth at his place, he manages the larger of his ponds (70 ac) for trophy bass. They should be bedding right around that time, so the pickin's for a large one might be good. My buddy suggested that I might want to take a trip to the coast and wet a line in the salt. He knows of a couple of guides, redfish I guess. There's Stripers in some of the larger lakes here in Indiana, my best so far is 19#, but the fishing is slow, only 3-4 fish/day.

I figure that I have a week or so to get the trip planned out and tickets bought. The exact # of days are still flexible, I was thinking of arriving in DFW early Friday morning and hitting the airport for home late Monday or early Tuesday. I wish that I could see more of the state, but the travel time is the killer!

I hear what you're saying about watching what part of town I'm in. I grew up in Chicago and there were areas that were O.K. to go in as long as you were in around 6:00 a.m. and outta there by 10:00 a.m.

They should be bedding right around that time

I am not sure what part of the state you will be fishing but over 20 years of completive bass tournament fishing in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana tells most of the bigger bass are already off the beds by now. By May you will be post spawn fishing for the most part. But bass fishing is bass fishing, you never know what they may be doing.

I have only bay fished one time and it is MUCH more fun than any bass fishing I have every done. If that is an option I would flush everything else and head for the coast and catch some specs or redfish.

Enjoy you stay, buy yourself a pair of boots and a cowboy hat.

Aaaarrrrgggg, a month late, huh? Dang! You're sounding very convincing! When I lived in So. Cal. I really enjoyed going out on the boats and fishing for Tuna and Wahoo, but fishing for the specs and redfish on the fishing shows look interesting. I just might have to add a day on the tail end to get out on the Salt!

You're spot on about the boots and hat. I don't know where the farm is, but he sent me an e-mail about diamondbacks and said that he didn't have any around there, just Copperheads and Water Moccasins.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.