Thickest 30-06 brass?

Mram10us

What is the thickest walled brass you've seen for 30-06 and what measurement did you get from the walls near the base? Thanks

Prvi Partizan is pretty heavy stuff. I had to reduce powder charge compared to book max on some 30-30 reloads due to early pressure signs while working up loads. I would assume their 30-06 loads to be similar. Usually cheap enough to pick up a box and just to try but who knows with today's craziness.

Prvi Partizan is pretty heavy stuff. I had to reduce powder charge compared to book max on some 30-30 reloads due to early pressure signs while working up loads. I would assume their 30-06 loads to be similar. Usually cheap enough to pick up a box and just to try but who knows with today's craziness.

Yep! I will be using PRVI Partizan brass on my .264 WM.

Yep! I will be using PRVI Partizan brass on my .264 WM.
Did you shoot loaded PP rounds through your 264 WM to get the brass or just buy the brass? If loaded, what did you shoot? I did pick up some heavy .223 PP rounds a few years ago and haven't even shot them yet. 77gr I think, for a fast twist AR I've got.

Did you shoot loaded PP rounds through your 264 WM to get the brass or just buy the brass? If loaded, what did you shoot? I did pick up some heavy .223 PP rounds a few years ago and haven't even shot them yet. 77gr I think, for a fast twist AR I've got.

Both! I went through a couple of boxes of loaded ammo (140 PSP https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/history/1/orderId/1534746/productId/12531) for barrel break-in and have a couple of bags of virgin brass (https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/history/1/orderId/1534746/productId/73653).

The thickest and heaviest 30-06 brass I came across was LC (Lake City) military brass. They where pull down tracer bullets from the Vietnam era. I couldn't have the loaded bullets sent to me in Hawaii so I bought them pulled and got 1,000 pcs of 30-06 LC brass and 147 gr tracer heads. Great to shoot at late evening on the lava fields but it makes you have anxiety seeing how crazy they zig zag and ricochet especially when they bounce at a 45 degree angle and disappear into the sky. A real eye opener!! The only problem I had was this sticky tar inside the necks, I think the guy who sold me the brass said it was a sealer for wet conditions? I have no idea but it makes sense. Had to use lacquer thinner, a pistol rod and bronze brush... don't forget your safety glasses... found out the hard way.

What is the thickest walled brass you've seen for 30-06 and what measurement did you get from the walls near the base? Thanks

My guess would be RWS or Lake City. I have brass in both brands for 30-06. Il mail you a few pieces of each for free if you like. Since your a smith you probably have the necessary equipment to do a better looking cutaway than I could with my dremel. I would like to know the web and wall thickness myself and it would be cool to add in a piece of lapua 30-06 as well to compare the 3. I wouldn't plan on using LC 30-06 brass though. I looked hard for some a year ago and had no luck, not even at large gun shows.

My guess would be RWS or Lake City. I have brass in both brands for 30-06. Il mail you a few pieces of each for free if you like. Since your a smith you probably have the necessary equipment to do a better looking cutaway than I could with my dremel. I would like to know the web and wall thickness myself and it would be cool to add in a piece of lapua 30-06 as well to compare the 3. I wouldn't plan on using LC 30-06 brass though. I looked hard for some a year ago and had no luck, not even at large gun shows.
Very kind but no need. Happy to test if you are curious, but I have LC and some others here stashed away. I'll see what I have and post measurements. Again, thank you for the offer. Very kind

PMP brass is the thickest walled brass I know.

I once did a case capacity comparison for .375 H&H and 7mm Rem Mag using various headstamps.

Each sample size is five cases, except for PPU of which I had only 2, and Imperial 4. The case capacity is relative by weight of powder. Each case was weighed empty. Each case was full length sized without the decapper. Case was filled with a very fine ball powder, tapped to settle, and the powder scraped level at the neck, then the powder weighed.

I know the "correct" method is with water, but I don't keep water in my reloading room.

7mm-rem-mag.png

375H&H-brass.png

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.