30-06 brass to 35 Whelen

sewwhat89

I am looking at getting a Remington carbine in 35 Whelen for hog hunting. I know there are lots of other calibers that will work; however, I have most of them and no 35 calibers. My question is, is it worth it to convert Lapua 30-06 brass to 35 Whelen? I am not going to be running high pressure loads as the rifle will be semi-auto. I will not be leaving brass in the woods so loss is not a concern. I have been looking at one of the following scenarios:

358 Win in BLR
35 Whelen in Rem 7400(?) semi-auto
375 Win in Model 94 - or similar in Marling Guide gun

To me, the 35 Whelen seems to be the most fun rifle; however, I don't know how the semi-auto action will treat the brass. I know I could use 308 LC or Lapua brass and neck up to 358 and never wear out a case.

I want to have some serious thump without breaking the bank, i.e. no black rifles :(.

The rifle will wear some form of a red dot scope with quick disconnects. More often than not, it will wear a red light for night hunting too.

Your thoughts are sought!

Don't use high quality brass in a auto-loader.. Just FL Size in a 35 Whelen Die Rem. 06 or Win 06.. You'll have a good number of cases dinged coming out of a Auto.. Necks the most..
The .358 Win is a great round for what you want to do.. The Whelen is great also I own both..
AK

As you wish, but I would for sure use bulk .35 Whelen brass as it's made rather than necking up any expensive, high quality brass and then firing it in an autoloader. MidwayUSA sold me my last batch of Remington cases.

Last edited:
Like you, I recently decided on a 35 whelen for hog hunting.

I just finished a remington 700 ADL conversion fitted with a CDL barrel in 35whelen. Glass bedded, free floated, trigger job and decelerator butt pad have helped this to become a nice handling rifle.

I've named it, fondly, my 700 ABCDL.

For brass, I used previously fired winchester 30-06, through the 35 whelen FL resizing die. The brass OAL was quite a bit shorter than spec, but the shoulder was about right. After fire-forming during break-in, I'm now partially FL resizing, to avoid bumping the shoulder back. This seems to be working "just right".

Using varget, I'm working on a 2500-2550fps load with 225 TSX. It should have a nice PUNCH for anything I encounter...

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.