THEE only gun you'd never part with

my dad's 1962 Savage model 99 in .308 Winchester. I've already passed it to my son where it is retired to the safe. He hunted with that rifle from '62 until he couldn't hunt no more in 2017. My brother and I were shooting BAR's in the 80's and convinced him to buy one in .308. That did not last one hunting season. He named the rifle "Norma" after my mom who bought him that rifle for his 32nd birthday in 1962.

One? Ok, I'll play…

Remington 12 gauge 870 Wingmaster Magnum. Killed more game with that gun than all others combined, that's sheer numbers and weight of processed meat. If fact, I call it the 'meat gitter'.

But since this is a long range forum. Ruger M77 chambered in 220 Swift with 26" bull barrel. Tack driver.

Forgot about my two safe dwellers. 1. Single barrel 12 gauge thatcame from my great grandfather. No stamping on it anywhere. Not sure how he came about it, but would love to know the history. Passed down eventually to me. 2. Grandfather's Stevens single shot 20 gauge.

Last edited:
My Fathers 870 Wingmaster 12ga. We spent so many days in the hardwoods of Kentucky chasing squirrels with 870's. I take it out of the safe three to four times a year to give it a rub down with a good gun oil and thenit goes back in the safe. I'm pretty partial to my Gunwerks LR1000 in 7LRM. Not sure anyone could offer me enough to get rid of that one either. It has treated me very well.

I have two I would never part with the first is a Winchester model 70 300 win mag I got for my high school graduation gift it's just a Walmart special but it's never let me down. The second is a Christensen arms hunter 7mm rem mag my wife gave me for my 30 birthday. This rifle has killed a lot of deer and got me into long range hunting and reloading

My Grandfathers Austrian 16ga SXS shotgun. He died about 20 years before I was born but my Aunt surprised me with it when I got my hunting license at 14 years old. A high grade Ferlach built at the turn of the 19th century I used it for waterfowl, upland birds, small game, and varmints well into my 20's. It remains fully functional to this day and will be surely be passed down.
View attachment 444792
Anyone else freekin jealous?

My Pre 64 Model 70 Alaskan in 338 win mag. My dad bought it new at Reeds Sporting on Main Street In Kalispell. My dad , brother and I have all killed elk with it.

I have one rifle that I did sale that I really regret. It was an Interarms Mark X in 375 H&H mag. That gun was a shooter. Loved shooting it with open sights. It had a three leaf folding rear sight for 100 , 200 and300 yards. My wife was looking at some older pictures recently. She handed me one of her dad holding that rifle. I was a fool all over again.

Have to agree here... most bottom line keeper, though: Series 70 NM Gold Cup 1911, 5k+ rounds w no malfunction
I have a lot of beautiful awesome guns, but for me they are nothing more than a material item. Some have history behind them some are just slicker than goose crap. But all could be replaced for the right amount of money.

Many years ago read a review by David Petzal on the Savage 111 LRH when it first came out. He said if it came in left hand model he would definitely own one. Bought one in 6.5x284. It is easily a 1/2 MOA rifle and has accounted for numerous speed goats, mulies and white tails. Have run through some different scopes and it remains highly accurate and butt ugly. The other rifle that I wouldn't give up is my Browning XBolt Hells Canyon Speed. Terrible name but insanely accurate .308.

Recent Posts