The Wait Is Over - Revic BR4 Ballistic Rangefinder from Gunwerks

Received mine today, I've only had a little bit of time to mess with it, so take this all with a grain of salt. It's fast. Nearly instantaneously fast, not just in ranging, but in the ballistic solver too. Night and day faster than the Leica 2800.com + Kestrel combination when retrieving ballistics results. The Leica ranges very quickly, and the Revic BR4 is about the same in speed (nearly instant), but the Revic is delivering the ballistic solution in the same amount of time, calculated on device.

A few things I've noticed - I like the 10x. It's definitely easier when ranging out past 500yds or so. The glass quality isn't quite the same as the Leica, but it's fairly good. It reminds me of Vortex glass, whereas the Leica is more like TT/ZCO, if that helps. The near/far settings are wonderful. I was trying to range a telephone pole about 1200yds away, with various tree branches in the way. Switching to far mode allowed me to range the pole without steadying, which I was unable to do with the Leica (it always ranged the branches at various distances). I can see myself using these in some more difficult field scenarios.

The projected display on the Revic is more sensitive to eye position than the Leica, so you just need to make sure you line up on it a little better to read it clearly. It annoyed me a little at first, but after using it a few dozen times, and getting the diopter adjusted, I don't think it'll be an issue in practice. Brightness at level 4 (highest) is readable in any situation you'd realistically encounter. The Leica has thin but sharp lines on the display, whereas the Revic has wider but not quite as clear lines to my eyes. I have astigmatism, so this may explain some this - but so we are clear - the Revic is perfectly readable - you'll just find eye positioning impacts the readability slightly more than the Leica if you have astigmatism as well. Many may prefer the wider lettering on the Revic, as it likely is more clear with varying backgrounds. I may find I do too, once I use it more in the wild.

On to the ballistic solver - wow - this is fast. Far faster than my Kestrel, and it's doing ranging at the same time. The only downside I've noticed so far: the ballistic solver on the RF can't do doppler-curve based calculations (yet). I spoke with Revic, and they intend to have this support pushed out as an OTA update to the RF by EOY. Using G7 models, it's close enough to my 4DOF numbers after truing slightly (which have proven true out to 1000yds with a bit of tuning themselves) that I suspect I'll be ditching my Kestrel w/ 4DOF for a 1000 series just for wind, and using the built in sensors in the RF for the rest. Wind input is super easy, fire it up, hit the up/down arrows to set the direction, menu, then up/down arrows to set speed.

The rest of the environmental information it gets from it's built in sensors. Speaking of, here's a spot test I did about ten seconds ago:

Kestrel:
Temp: 73.8F
DA: 2030
Elv: 745
P: 29.11inHg

RF:
Temp: 75F
DA: 2015
Elv: 759
P: 29.10inHg

The build quality is very solid, but I do wish it was plastic on the exterior instead of metal, as counter-intuitive as that may be. Beyond just weight, it'll be cold when it's cold outside, and I also worry about my body heat transferring to the temperature sensor when measuring. I imagine @landonm can provide some input on this. I'll poke more at it later, but it's definitely a nice RF!
Did you use the kestrel 1000 with the RF yet? If so how did that combo work for you?

Have you used the BR4 with the Kestrel 1000 yet? The input from the 1000 is manual correct? I don't see any Bluetooth capability with the Kestrel 1000.

I'm looking for a wind meter to pair with the BR4. Any suggestions?
I use a kestrel for wind speed, there is no need for interface with the BR4. The wind direction is a directional click, like a clock. Leave all of the other stuff behind. The BR4 is a multi-solution solver. Ya gotta hold one to see, but when you do, you'll never choose a multi-device, slow and complicated setup like Sig + Kestral + app and tinkering with em. I have a shooting solution that works before my buddy gets his app open. Revic/ Gunwerks got it right. The BR4 is the best piece of kit in my kit!

I have been bugging them for years since I bought the original about making a green or black readout... I'm color deficient/blind! For now I'll hang on to my original because it has been a vital tool for ballistic solutions. I just have to take extra time to range and look at a dark background. A bit painful but the solutions are spot on!

I've owned Bushnell, Leica, SIG,Terrapin, and Swarovski.There were things I liked and disliked with all brands. I currently use the Revic BR4. It's by far the best rangefinder I've ever owned. It incorporated everything that I liked in previous rangefinders and combined all of those features into the Revic BR4.

So would the kestrel 1000 be a good addition to the BR4? I mean since the BR4 can solve the rest of the equations, a cheaper kestrel should work correct?