The Virus has struck

cornchuck

The Virus has struck my house. The long range shooting virus. My wife and I went shooting this past Saturday. I took my 308 and 223. ( The wife put claims on the 223) I haven't been past 800 yards. But that all changed. Made sure the 308 was still on at 200 yards. Then I had the wife shoot the 223 at 100 yds. She was tearing it up at 100. So I told her to go out to 200 yds. with it. Doing really good there. Had to come up 1 MOA to get on the bulls eye.

So I got behind my 308. Started at 500 yds. I had a really good groups going there. Then I out to 600 yds where I had a group that was just over MOA.

Then my wife said she wanted to shoot my 308 out to a grand. This would be the first time that gun has gone that far. I didn't expect much because I didn't know how that gun would shoot that far. I dialed in the elevation from the app. Shooter and let her take the shot. Not me.

I was watching through the spotting scope as she pulled the trigger. Gun went off. At first I thought she missed. But as I kept watching. I saw the bullet splash on the 24" steel plate then the ping. I just sat back in the chair with a grin and a couple nice words. And a high five.

Then I just had to try it. And she got behind the spotter. Squeezed off the first shot and I hit 9 o'clock about 2" from the edge of the steel. I adjusted the windage and fired 2 more. 2nd was low and right. 3rd was just inside of the bullseye.

My wife wanted to shoot again. So I let her have the last three rounds. Her 1st was 6 o'clock about 1.5" from edge of the steel. 2nd was just under the bull. And the 3rd was just inside the bull to the left.

I am really proud of that gun, my reloads, my shooting, and most of all, her shooting. She never really liked to go shooting with me because it bores her. Being at the range for hours. Now she wants her own long range gun. I'm thinking .243(fast twist for heavy bullets) or a .260. Low recoiling guns.

Now here are the specs. of the .308:
Remington 700P (All stock except Timney trigger) 26" barrel
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50
6-9" Harris bipod
175 SMK
42.5 grs. Varget
CCI BR-2
2575 fps

This is Amy's (the wife) first group with .308 @ 600 yds.
amy's first 600 yd shot w 308.jpg

Amy's first shot @ a grand w/.308
Amy's first shot @ grand.jpg

Here is my group @ a grand
Jason's first group @ a grand.jpg

This is Amy's group @ a grand
Amy's first group @ a grand.jpg

Jason

Congratulations! I keep threatening to build my bride a LR rifle. She doesn't seem interested but I'm thinking if she shot one time at far far away she would like it. She's not interested in shooting any of mine because they are all magnums and she shoots with the wrong hand. I think I'm going to build her a southpaw 260 or a 6.5/284. Worst that could happen is I have one for sale

Getting my gf involved in shooting and hunting is the best thing I ever did. ,y buddies thought I was crazy for ruining "man" time. Meanwhile their women want to go to the Caribbean and mine wants to kill turkey, deer of all kinds and speed goats. Means I can take hunting trips while they go to the beach.

Getting my gf involved in shooting and hunting is the best thing I ever did. ,y buddies thought I was crazy for ruining "man" time. Meanwhile their women want to go to the Caribbean and mine wants to kill turkey, deer of all kinds and speed goats. Means I can take hunting trips while they go to the beach.

You are much smarter than your friends sir!

My wife grew up around guns and hunting and can shoot but has absolutely no interest in doing so. :(

I say give the 308 to her and get yourself a 7mm or 300wm. =)

I just got to 1000 yrds myself with my 260 rem so I can slightly relate with your excitement.

The only "issues" I have is now she wants her own rifle and she hates pink. Hatred for pink you wouldn't think would matter. Walk through the women's camo section once and you will understand. Thank god Cabelas uses light blue and field and stream is Burgundy.

Thank you the praises. Yeah this shooting long range is really fun. I even told my wife that 1000 yds. is too close now. I want to go further out.

Letzgoracin301, my wife already said that her new rifle WILL HAVE a purple stock to it.

Jason

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts