The state of the fight in NY

Wiley,

I think we need to start a resolution process to have the Governor removed from office. He is a future Hitler of this country. I really think he is dangerous to Nyer's and shouldn't be in politics. Senator Schumer is the same. We don't need these people making laws for themselves.

Follow the link Impeach Governor of New York, Andrew Cuomo and sign it if you have not done so already. After that it's simple. Make sure everyone around you knows what the situation is. Have them sign the petition; Family, friends, co-workers, neighbors and so on. Let them know you won't budge in your thinking. My ultra left thinking sister said to me the other day, she "won't agree to my politics but she will acknowledge that the law was not properly legislated." She said she signed the petition. I'll take her word.

Write to manufacturers, suppliers, distributors, anyone who would deal with the State or municipalities and let them know that you expect them to NOT sell to the state until this gets repealed.

Write and call legislators. Make sure elected officials know that their vote will directly influence your vote in coming elections. Let them know you will do everything possible to influence other to vote accordingly. Let them know about Impeach Governor of New York, Andrew Cuomo Let them know this is only the beginning. Between your vote and the indirect hint of impeachment really wakes them up. I've gotten several personal phone calls from elected officials to reassure me they were on MY side. Call the dog catcher if he is elected to the position. They will take notice.

I've written to the Sheriff and UnderSheriff. I've called and written to State Senators and Assembly people who represent NYC and Long Island and let them know how I feel too. Write to anyone you can think of.

Above all, MAKE SURE you heartily thank those who are on our side. And to those who are not, politely let them know that you would have liked to help them with future issues including election/re-election but that cannot be possible given their current stance on SAFE.

To those folks from Colorado and other states that are contemplating the same kind of legislative stupidity. Post some links and info as to where I can send or do stuff to help out. I'm always glad to help spoil sombody's corn flakes when and where appropriate. :D

Following is part of an email I received today from a member of a nearby sportsmans club. There are a number of good points made and I've highlighted some of them in blue.
"WHAT WE CAN DO NOW:
Verbiage – Stop saying the "AW" word. It's a fabricated compound word by the people who aim to take away our rights. I think a more appropriate term would be Modern Sporting Rifle or MSR. I don't know about you but I do not assault anyone with any of my firearms. Let's stop the negative connotation. While we're at it, let's stop using terms like "high capacity" when referring to magazines that hold more than SEVEN rounds. Most of these magazines, such as 15 round magazines in a Beretta 92, 17 round magazines in a Glock 17 and 30 round magazines in an AK47 are STANDARD capacity magazines. These are the magazines originally designed with the firearm. These are "common in use" and readily available, unlike the REDUCED capacity magazines we are forced to try to find now (you can stop looking because they don't exist).
Write your favorite arm or ammunition manufacturer and encourage them to jump on board with over 100 other manufacturers already making a stand by not selling to government agencies where anti-gun laws have been passed. Almost all of the MSR makers will no longer sell to NYSP. Good. What if Glock, Spingfield, S&W and Sig followed suit? How about ATK which owns Federal, CCI and many other ammunition manufacturers? What if they refused to sell until the law was repealed? What if they refused to sell until we gained some ground in the other direction?
Another thing I've been thinking more and more about lately is getting on the offensive side of the gun debate. I'm not telling you to offend anyone – as badly as you may want to – it is not good for our cause. What I am telling you is to think of a firearm related item or sport that you wish you could own or participate in and write a short letter about it. Write how if you lived in another state you could own it. Do some research; how many other states allow it? Explain how it won't contribute to crime. Next demand answers. Why can't you own it? Send it to your local (town and county) and then state level politicians. Send it to the Governor. Follow up with it. Demand answers to your questions. You will have a lot of staffers telling you they can't answer that – fine, demand answers from their bosses.
You see, the gun debate is very one sided. One side tells us we can't have something that offends their delicate sensibilities and if we are lucky we compromise and don't completely lose it. No matter what the football is always moving on our side of the 50 yard line and in case you were unaware, they are within field goal range. It's time we try to regain some yardage. We don't like the new law and in fact, we want to go back to a 15 round magazine capacity. We also want suppressors that are legal in 39 states and mandatory in many European countries. These gun grabbers idolize Europe so much, let's use it against them! You say it will never happen? Maybe they will compromise back at 10 rounds. Or 12.
Start a campaign to bring back rifle teams in schools. Start small, maybe air rifle. There's no reason not to. It teaches responsible use and handling of firearms. Too many of today's children do not have any experience with firearms except for video games and hence do not have the proper respect for them. I don't need to tell you that target shooting is an extremely challenging sport that can never truly be mastered; there is always room for improvement. Excelling at it takes practice, knowledge and laser-like focus. This could be a great starting point; these shooting clubs and teams existed in schools until late in the 20th century (back when mass shootings didn't exist). It could be done on the local level. There does not have to be any guns in schools, practice and matches can be hosted at local clubs and ranges. I bet it would be pretty easy to get grants from groups like the NRA, NYSRPA and CMP to help fund rifles and ammunition. Volunteer to coach.
Undoubtedly if we got a State Senator to sponsor such a pro-gun bill, it would not pass. However, it would be in writing and could be re-introduced every year until it passes, just like they do to us. We would have a list of Senators and Assemblymen who voted for and who voted against. It would be on the record. They can be held accountable. Bills never "die," just think micro stamping. That comes up for vote every year. And it gets closer and closer to passing.
The truth is, we never thought they would get this far and I bet they didn't either. Let's start pushing back for once. They give it 110%. We give 110% to our families and work. Maybe it's time we start taking our rights a little more seriously. Do you want to explain to your grandkids that you wish they could grow up enjoying the same rights you did? You would have done more but you honestly never thought it would get this far? Or would you rather stand up, fight back and gain some ground.
It's not just firearms folks, not just your second amendment.
This means NOW is the time to get busy on the phone giving them your input. You don't need to be a diplomat, you don't need to waste an hour, all it takes is five minutes to call the Governor's office at 518-474-8390 and tell them you don't like a specific part, parts or the entire SAFE Act and you will remember this in November of 2014. That's all you need to do. IF ALL OF US DID THIS, we would not be in this position today
For those of us who sat back and said it will never happen, it has happened. Please don't be so complacent in the future. What have YOU done to preserve your rights?

While this was written to members of a club in NY State, the ideas are universal for all who are pro gun. It doesn't matter if you're from NY or Colorado, the states with the latest Legislative BS or if you're from a good gun state like Wyoming, Alaska, Arizona or one of many others. We should all get proactive on our side of the ball and learn to use the anti's techniques against them.

Pete

Last edited:
I found this in another forum... any truth to it?

With many people going to unknowingly become criminals overnight on April 15th 2014, New Yoikahs can rat on their neighbors.

This is exactly what I said would happen in past posts. Just like DC did in the early '70's when the district banned firearms for citizens. They haven't put up the signs yet though. Probably will do that to increase the cash-flow.

This from NYSRPA, the state has a press release:

"The state has established a toll-free tip line – 1-855-GUNSNYS (1-855- 486-7697) to encourage residents to report illegal firearm possession. The tip line also allows for information to be submitted via text – individuals can text GUNTIP and their message to CRIMES (274637). While the state will provide the administrative support and fund the rewards, the investigation and validity of the tip will be up to each local department.

To spread the word about this free resource, New York State is planning a comprehensive campaign, including public service announcements that will air on television and radio stations across Upstate.

The tip line can provide your agencies with another avenue for receiving intelligence about crimes being committed in your jurisdictions. This initiative is designed for communities where no tip lines are in place and is not meant to replace existing gun tip lines.

Here's how the tip line operates:

The New York State Police staff the tip line 24 hours a day. Upon receiving a call, troopers will solicit as much information as possible regarding a firearm tip, while allowing the individual to remain anonymous. The caller will be informed that this program is not the traditional gun buyback program but rather is focused on identifying individuals who are carrying an illegal firearm.

The State Police will in turn contact the appropriate police agency with the lead to initiate an investigation. Staff from the Division of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) will follow up with that agency to determine the validity of the lead. Once the investigation is completed, the police agency would convey to DCJS the outcome of the investigation.

If the information leads to an arrest for the illegal possession of a firearm, the "tipster" will be awarded $500. DCJS staff will handle all of the financial transactions.

State Police staff will explain the program in its entirety upon notifying an agency that a lead has been generated for their jurisdiction. If you have any questions in the interim, please contact DCJS Deputy Commissioner Tony Perez in the Office of Public Safety at 518-485-7610.

Janine Kava
Director of Public Information"

MR

Apparently yes. Several legislators are publicly condemming it while others say they are trying to put together something to shut it down. But I doubt anything like that will take place.

Imagine the backlash on this should a rat be discovered. This is going to go downhill in a hurry.

Enough said

This sounds like something that will turn deadly on rats. It's best to mind your own business and protect yourself. The basic reason why privacy is so important. Can you imagine finking on someone that is a mobster or a seriously violent gang member. Even if the state police say it's anonymous it's documented history that they even have a few "bad men" so to speak. It's a great set up for violent criminals to start offering protection to normal citizen's who are now in fear of being killed because they opened their mouth. It looks like the state will be funding organized crime again. Rats and snitches are people that the government uses to combat crime, but they don't care that they leave you and your family vulnerable to retaliation. Our NYS government is just not thinking sanely. I really question whether Governor Cuomo is rational. I mean, I really question it, where does he have the right to act like a God on this earth. Certainly, he has safer better things he could do for the state to improve jobs and lower our taxes. NYS is really getting out of wack, far worse than California. I'm really disenchanted with the direction of this state. Im 54 now and I think I'm going to be a non resident citizen in the future. I hope I'm not over reacting.

Food for thought...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.