The shelves at my LGS's are full again, powder is decently plentiful again, why no primers FS/OTC still?

Hopefully that new primer plant that's supposed to be being built in Tx will get some inventory out there.

What Vista has done with Fed/CCI really sucks for us shooters. If the Texas outfit has a good product in the future I m going to remember what the other guys did to us.
Seems like every thing Vista touches turns to crap.

Primer shortages have been around since Y2K imo. That was the last time I saw a true surplus of components, especially primers. After each shortage primers stuck out as either the real or perceived shortage. Why? I doubt anyone truely knows. It could be a perceived shortage so that's what gets bought up and hoarded first. Or their is a slower production of it. In the past it has caught up but it takes more time.

Primer shortages have been around since Y2K imo. That was the last time I saw a true surplus of components, especially primers. After each shortage primers stuck out as either the real or perceived shortage. Why? I doubt anyone truely knows. It could be a perceived shortage so that's what gets bought up and hoarded first. Or their is a slower production of it. In the past it has caught up but it takes more time.
Hoarders. You nailed it with that. The guy that only needs 8# of powder buys 32#, and the guy that needs 1000 primers buys 5000.

Hoarders. You nailed it with that. The guy that only needs 8# of powder buys 32#, and the guy that needs 1000 primers buys 5000.
Most of the time "Needs" are a perceived notion that are really "wants" --- only you can know what your "needs" vs. "Wants" really are

I wonder if people have enough powder for the primers they have on the shelf? What about bullets? And brass life?

I try to calculate my powder weight for each bullet/primer on my shelf so I can actually load and shoot-- rather than just "have a back stock" of components. I'm here to shoot, not create a warehouse. Though I do "plan ahead" since the o'bumner era .

Primers used to be the cheapest component, then powder, then bullets, and brass.....I'd bet some people just buy to have and don't ever consider what would happen if 1 of those components wasn't available.

I've always said-- no need to take away guns, bullets, ammo, powder when all you have to do is control the primers.

Ye who controls the primers has the shooting industry by the b@!!$

I do know that when primers, and most components hit the shelf in my area the word gets out quick. The supplies are bought up in a few hours. That's the power of social media and the friends network. But some components are staying on the shelves longer now. Bullets being one. We might see a decent supply this winter. I have my reasons for suspecting this. I don't completely blame hoarding for the supply shortage. It's just one factor.

Most of the time "Needs" are a perceived notion that are really "wants" --- only you can know what your "needs" vs. "Wants" really are

I wonder if people have enough powder for the primers they have on the shelf? What about bullets? And brass life?

I try to calculate my powder weight for each bullet/primer on my shelf so I can actually load and shoot-- rather than just "have a back stock" of components. I'm here to shoot, not create a warehouse. Though I do "plan ahead" since the o'bumner era .

Primers used to be the cheapest component, then powder, then bullets, and brass.....I'd bet some people just buy to have and don't ever consider what would happen if 1 of those components wasn't available.

I've always said-- no need to take away guns, bullets, ammo, powder when all you have to do is control the primers.

Ye who controls the primers has the shooting industry by the b@!!$
There are crude alternatives should we need to go there. Lots of people were trying new things when NO primers were about. Some somewhat successful. Not so much for LR, but just to go boom. Let's hope we don't need to go there again. I do wish I would have paid attention more when I was in school. Especially chemistry class. There has to be a new alternative out there. Maybe we should be concentrating more on that as to availability ? Any ideas ? Other than black powder, snap caps. I can't believe there isn't a chemist in the shooting world with a solution to this problem ?

Hopefully that new primer plant that's supposed to be being built in Tx will get some inventory out there.

What Vista has done with Fed/CCI really sucks for us shooters. If the Texas outfit has a good product in the future I m going to remember what the other guys did to us.
The only primers I have seen available are CCI until last weekend when Big R had Remington primers. When the price on ammo slows down and a decrease in demand the primers will show up! Remember this for the future. Stock up and you won't have to worry.

Just curious - what part of the country are you in? The Cabelas stores in my area don't have any powder, bullets, or brass let alone primes.
Hammond Indiana located in NW corner of Indiana.
Was there Tuesday. Shelves were FULL of all popular and even less popular HG calibers. Just as large of quantities of Most rifle calibers. Had a butt load of 22lr as well prices as good as online at .075c/ea or $4/50 but CF ammo was quite pricy.
Took a careful count of brass and lots of HG brass and common caliber rifle brass even goodly amount of
Lapua brass,. LOTS of bullet I mean all kinds of bullets from 22cal to .458 cal, saw lots of bullets in 223, 6mm. 6.5mm, 7mm, 30cal .357, .355, 10mm, 451 & 452, from Barnes, Sierra, Hornady, and cheaper plated HG bullets and I am forgetting quite a few.

Also a lot of powders from Hodgdon, IMR, AA, Hornady, and Winchester in 1lb, 4lb, and 5lb.
BUT
No primers.
I walked out with 1lb each of every powder I can use they had for sale, including:
IMR3031, IMR4831, CFE223, and Hodgdon Lil'Gun.
Since Comrade Kllinton was in office I adopted a no receptions policy of NEVER leaving a store that sells reloading components empty handed ever again. It literally has made an immeasurable difference on the amount of primers I have on hand.