The Practice of Scoping.

I'm adamantly disappointed with some of the responses to this topic. Purposely pointing a loaded firearm at another individual not in self defense or similar circumstances is a crime. "Just because they did it" indicates lack of self control. Long Range Hunting is a sport requiring standards of self control. A respected and responsible long range big game hunter knows when to pass on a shot that is outside their limits, i.e. "self control." Just because your bullet will fly that far should you take the shot? No different here, "just because" is not an exception to commit a crime. If an irresponsible hunter is purposely pointing a firearm at another person, perhaps a good method of dealing with this issue is to disengage, gather as much information as possible, and pass this on to a law enforcement officer.

Stupid is as stupid does....don't become part of the problem.

I'm adamantly disappointed with some of the responses to this topic. Purposely pointing a loaded firearm at another individual not in self defense or similar circumstances is a crime. "Just because they did it" indicates lack of self control. Long Range Hunting is a sport requiring standards of self control. A respected and responsible long range big game hunter knows when to pass on a shot that is outside their limits, i.e. "self control." Just because your bullet will fly that far should you take the shot? No different here, "just because" is not an exception to commit a crime. If an irresponsible hunter is purposely pointing a firearm at another person, perhaps a good method of dealing with this issue is to disengage, gather as much information as possible, and pass this on to a law enforcement officer.

Yep. I think most everyone is agreement with this thought. The dumbest thing that has ever happened to me is being shot at by a bow hunter. That guy was going to get the beating of a lifetime if my cousin could have ran him down. Yes, it was intentional. Just as I believe the guy who scoped me was doing it to harass. I switched radio freqs 3x and he kept monitoring and finding us. I chose to stay the course and not engage this idiot. I did see him a few times afterward, he had no clue where we were at that point. We just kept tabs on his location and direction. Eventually the dirtbag moved on and so did we.

Good points and discussion from the group. Thanks for the feedback all.

I have a different view... When someone points a weapon at me, I don't know if its loaded or not. I assume it is. So I have the choice to retreat, pretend someone is not holding on me,or stand my ground and send a message. If I decide to retreat or ignore, the perp will be encouraged to continue his behavior. In short, you point a weapon at me,be prepared to meet my muzzle. If things go downhill from there, I am not guilty of anything legal or moral. You show me your muzzle you will see mine. You send lead in my direction,I'll send some your way. Stupid is as stupid does , and if you're stupid enough point you're weapon at me,be prepared for the consequences

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.