the power or the glass

tigmaned

tiring to deicde on on either a
Nikon Monarch with a 4-16 power or a
Nikon buckmaster 6-18 power. also thinking about a Zeiss 3-9.
i have had a buckmaster before at a lower power and though it was pretty nice, until i looked into a Monarch!!
its going on a rem 700sps-v in .223. mostly punching wholes in paper for right now.

Last edited:
I am a believer of the old saying "The gun is only as good as its sights." Using this as the basis of most of my "optical opinions", I would say that the power of the scope is of little concern unless the glass is the quality needed to deliver crisp images at x power. What good is a fuzzy image at any power? Go with the best glass you can afford.

I am a believer of the old saying "The gun is only as good as its sights." Using this as the basis of most of my "optical opinions", I would say that the power of the scope is of little concern unless the glass is the quality needed to deliver crisp images at x power. What good is a fuzzy image at any power? Go with the best glass you can afford.

To quote someone else on another board: "A brightly-lit unresolved blob is just that, a brightly lit unresolved blob".

Go for the good glass.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.