The Positive Side of getting a 270 AM.

royinidaho

1) SWEET!!!

Inital observations were very pleasing.

Bedding is top notch. When the mounting screws are tightened they get tight all at once. Really Cool.

Kirby was probably frowning @ the trigger as it is the original 1950s REM trig. But it had marks that my Dad (Roy Sr) put on it from mounting the oversized trigger shoe. He shot small bore 50 foot competion and got accustomed to that shoe. The trigger is super. Proper weight and ziltch creep.

I stayed with the riginal firing pin and spring. It sure sounded & felt good on the ol' 06. Its pretty meek on this big girl. We'll see how it works and maybe upgrade.

Its a fluted Lilja #7 @ 30". SWEET!!! I'm thinkin' it took Kirby a bit of work to index the barrel so that the top and bottom flute were on the top and bottom. That kind of attention to detail is to be commended. (Keeps my OCD in check, LOL)

Same with the brake. Fitted properly! (OCD again...) I compared the brake to the Holland that I have. Looks different. No top openings but the slots look as though they provide for that consideration.

I really like the recoil lug. I suppose its a Holland but not sure. I know it isn't a Tubbs as on my 338 RUM. The Tubbs is way too thick. (As in maybe more than twice the thickness of the one on the AM. I think the Tubbs lug is thick enough to weaken "standard" sized stock. (Which is possibly causing me grief on the 338)

The stock was of my choosing. I suggested a Boyds but Kirby came up w/a composite Bell & Carlson and suggested that it would be stiff enough when bedded. I think it would look better with an HTH or something (which I have my eye on) but this one "feels" really good. I'm really particular about how my trigger hand feels and this stock is pretty much on the spot.

Where the rifle really excells, though I haven't fired a shot yet, is how it feels when prone off the sticks or pedestal rest. I think Chevy said it best "Like a Rock!"

She weighs right at 10.0#s w/o the scope and 12.0 w/scope. Spot on for my purposes. This ain't no spot and stalk rifle though it could be. I've carried heavier.

Am going to upgrade the scope. Its a 6.5 X 20 Mil Dot. But I gotta have one with the ret. in the FFP. I have my Weaver Tactical on the 338 RUM as I KNOW it will take the beating. Am thinking of a 16X SS (Have 10X SS and like it pretty well) unless the OK boys can convince me otherwise.

Anoth tho't: For a right handed person forced to shoot left handed the right bolt and right port is super. Wish I'd have never purchased a lefty as in the 338.

Also, she's single shot configuration which removes the magazine from consideration with tayloring loads.

332AM-Side-View-med.jpg

332AM-Other-Side-View-med.jpg

332AM-Barrel-med.jpg

Looks like I'm going to have to break out the Cannon w/the 10mm lens to get a decent pic of this big girl.

[ QUOTE ]
.....unless the OK boys can convince me otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta go w/the NF!!! The 5.5-15 would be perfect. I'm a fan of the NPR2 vs. the mildot. Would be an awesome scope for a hunting rig. I'd bet you could get out to around 1000 yds w/out ever clicking the elevation turret!!

Bill,

I guarantee you can get to 1000 yards without ever touching the turrets!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sight her in 2.5" high at 100 yards and she will be about dead on at the bottom post of a mil dot scope at 1000-1030 yards. That is with a 169.5 gr ULD RBBT at least tripping along at 3300 fps.

When did NF start making the 5-15X??? I know I am a smart *** sometimes!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

Here's another vote for the Nightforce and the NP-R2. I know you say FFP but I've yet to see a bunch of elk, deer etc. that all measure the same exactly and in the time it takes to guess what the animals size is, note the "guess", I can range it with the 'ol Swaro, know the exact distance, dial it and break the shot knowing I didn't guess but that I have the distance exactly. Throw in a possible target that you don't have a clue as to the size of it, and for me this is Swaro and NF country. This is just a personal preference but it's what makes me feel warm and fuzzy when ranging at long distances on a game animal, or for that matter, when busting killer rocks.

The NP-R2 gives you a lot of options using the vertical hash marks. Kinda like adding up to an additional 20 moa to your base if you want to. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
When did NF start making the 5-15X???

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha. Funny, funny /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

I could lie and say it was a typo, but the fact is I'm having a hard time grasping the wide range of magnification on these things. I'm used to the 3x spread on the Leupies. That 4x spread is almost to big to grasp!!

ss7mm,

I got over using the mil dot for ranging a long time ago. Couldn't consitently get within 100-200 yards beyond 600 yds.

The mil dot or whatever ret. is selected is for 'hold over' only. My Leica will give me the range. Clicking gives me the vapors......

According to my computer, what Kirby says is correct as far as the traj to 1K fitting w/in the mil dot ret. The heavier WC is even flatter plus delivering about 2K fpe @ 1000.

Roy, rifle looks and sounds good!!! I can't wait to hear how she shoots. I can't wait to get my 338 Allen Mag, I am jealous.

Wildcat

Roy:

Take a deeeeep breath and repeat this many many times:

" Clicking is my friend.....Clicking is my friend....Clicking is my friend"

Clicking is the way to go. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Clicking using the vertical marks in the NP-R2 just gives you more flexibility. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wildcat,

It will be worth the wait, I promise......

ss7mm,

I'm going to hang out with one of the clicker fellas one of these days to get a better feel for what goes on. I recognize that it is more precise but hell, I bore sighted the "Rock" , its tougher w/a 30" bore w/target in the shade but was on the back stop. Then made the adjustment exactly the correct amount in exactly the WRONG direction.

As far as accuracy goes this thing is starting where my efforts with the 338 ended. I think I'll make all head shots on those LR yotes this winter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Roy,

Regarding you comment on the LH action - Craig Boddington published an article about shooting LH with a right hand action versus the safety of shooting the LH action. I know that they feel awkward (I have a LH 7mm Weatherby) but his point of contention was that it is a safety issue. A LH shooter with a RH action is looking into the bolt raceway and it you blow a primer there is a straight shot toward your face. I speak from experience on this, I bled like the proverbial stuck pig from a chunk of brass that escaped a push feed Winchester. Boddington's point was that if it blew in a LH action that you had all that metal between you and the gas/chunks of brass.

Just something to think about...

Craig Dodd in SE Idaho

Craig,

Point well taken.

I can't think of a good way out of the situation. A right hand bold and left hand port would be an OSHA approach but its the use of the right hand to feed the next round (think single shot here) that is the advantage.

This rifle appears to literally loaf along with any bullet in the 140/150 class. Also, I may have mellowed a bit from the velocity pushing of the past.......

BTW, elk are buglin' behind the house again.

Craig,

Point well taken.

I can't think of a good way out of the situation. A right hand bolt and left hand port would be an OSHA approach but its the use of the right hand to feed the next round (think single shot here) that is the advantage.

Just got to thinkin', that's my bad eye anyway......

This rifle appears to literally loaf along with any bullet in the 140/150 class. Also, I may have mellowed a bit from the velocity pushing of the past.......

BTW, elk are buglin' behind the house again.

one deer a year and as many yotes as I can snipe. Throw in a jack rabit if one presents itself way out there, that's w/the 169s. Oh, an maybe a (oops better not say /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

With the 195s I'm figuring on an elk and the once in a lifetime moose.

That was the long answer.

Short answer: Everything!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.