A positive experience with ATF

FEENIX

Yeah, I know it is hard to believe.

I was trying to transfer custodial responsibility/ownership of a suppressor to me via ATF Form 5. I mailed it on 1/22/24 and received a response on 1/26/24 with 8 additional information needed. The mail provided a point of contact and e-mail address. I started corresponding via e-mail on 1/29/24. I e-mailed all the required information on 2/01/24. Below are some of the e-mail correspondences.

1706928504900.png

1706928602010.png

1706928643324.png

In short, I had a wonderful and pain-free experience. It is always nice to see and hear about this kind of transaction/customer service, esp. from an organization with quite the reputation of being a PITA.

Last edited:
you meant...pain-less experience?

Apologies to the OP if this is a hijack to his kind words for the lady at ATF...

Just talked to my local gunsmith yesterday about his scary experience with an ATF facility inspection. He survived the "attack" but it appears that ATF is starting to nitpick gunsmiths to the literal letter of the law, no excuses, no room for interpretation but their own and with the consequences of immediately losing their license without any judicial remedy except to go to court. Gunsmith had a friend working in the business who lost his license because he changed the name of his biz from XXX Gunsmithing, LLC to XXX Gunsmithing and didn't apply for a new license. When he did apply for a new license under the new name, he was refused for his previous error.
It's beginning to sound as if maybe ATF is trying to drive them out of business? Another back door form of gun control?

you meant...pain-less experience?

Apologies to the OP if this is a hijack to his kind words for the lady at ATF...

Just talked to my local gunsmith yesterday about his scary experience with an ATF facility inspection. He survived the "attack" but it appears that ATF is starting to nitpick gunsmiths to the literal letter of the law, no excuses, no room for interpretation but their own and with the consequences of immediately losing their license without any judicial remedy except to go to court. Gunsmith had a friend working in the business who lost his license because he changed the name of his biz from XXX Gunsmithing, LLC to XXX Gunsmithing and didn't apply for a new license. When he did apply for a new license under the new name, he was refused for his previous error.
It's beginning to sound as if maybe ATF is trying to drive them out of business? Another back door form of gun control?
I would have preferred you to share a positive experience.

A bit different storyline, but I had a similar experience to Mr. FEENIX.
I work for a small trucking company and a customer wanted to ship a pallet guns. Both shipper and receiver held ffl licenses. My concern was obviously insurance and liability issues for our company. I left a voice mail message at our local ATF office. A young lady returned my call, answered all my questions, then gave me her cell number in case I had further concerns. I was very pleasantly surprised and she definitely has my respect.

A bit different storyline, but I had a similar experience to Mr. FEENIX.
I work for a small trucking company and a customer wanted to ship a pallet guns. Both shipper and receiver held ffl licenses. My concern was obviously insurance and liability issues for our company. I left a voice mail message at our local ATF office. A young lady returned my call, answered all my questions, then gave me her cell number in case I had further concerns. I was very pleasantly surprised and she definitely has my respect.
I have had a positive experience with ATF thus far; all my suppressor's wait times were 4 months on average.

Hey they emailed me about a mistake on suppressor application and replied back late Friday afternoon with the correction need. On Saturday got email saying they corrected and received my approval on a Saturday

Thanks

Buck

I put a TBAC Ultra 7 in jail on December 4th 2023 and just received an email today, February 21 2024 that it has been APPROVED. Now that was MUCH faster than I was expecting.

Just had a similar positive experience. Picked up my first suppressor tonight. Paid for it last month was approved yesterday. Ultra 7. 31 or 34 days something like that. Did it through Scheels. They were as surprised as I was. Bought a second one two weeks ago. Hopefully that one goes as quick.