The perfect caliber

Ian

Ha ha ha. Yah I dont even think I make enough money to afford to shoot one of them. The 300 RUM is hard on the ol pocket book for as much as I make and shoot the thing, let alone my other few rifles. Those ballistics are amazing to say the least. One day.....

I started shooting with 8mm Mauser (and no, it was not in the German army) and have to say, I like it best of all.

There are still bullet choices out there for you to take large (elk, bear -- its been done) and small game. Plus, you can just shoot precision with it like I do.

Surplus ammo out there is CHEAP also, for those days when you just want to go plinking.

Living in the bush and guiding in Alaska picking just 1 is tough but my vote to the 358 Norma mag. 225 Sierra's for sheep and caribou at 2850,280 Swift's at 2550 for bear,moose, and deer. 62" moose yesterday Swift weigh's 272 as usual.

For my 2 cents...

I wanted a cartridge for about the same criteria (except the Elk part), and through years of research and shooting, I came up with the .30-338 Magnum. When I made my chioce, the WSM's were not born, but I would not change my pick. I am just getting started with this cat, but I really like it, and think it is one of the best.

Would a 358 Norma fit on a 300 RUM receiver?? I kinda like that one. WOuldn't be a barrel burner. I am going to have to decide whether I want to build off my WIn model 70 25-06 or my rem 700 LSS 300 RUM. Thanks for all the replys.

What kinda velocities with what bullets can you obtain with the 30-338 with say a 26" barrel? Would I be able to put that on my rem 700 300 RUM receiver? If I could get the 200g accubond going 2900fps, with good barrel life, I will be a happy camper. I wanted to go with the 300 WSM, but found out it wont work on my big receiver. Dang it anyways.

I think you are asking quite a bit for one calibre, but it sounds like 300 WSM and/or 300 Winchester Mag would be able to meet most of your requirements. But probably the best choice would be the .300 Dakota, if you can live with a proprietary cartridge.

I'll cast my vote for the 300 Win Mag. Should get you a little more velocity than the short mag with the 200 gr bullet and unsurpassed accuracy potential.
I have a 338RUM for my elk rifle and I wanted something else for a backup. Almost bought a 300RUM, but went with the 300 Win Mag due to basically the same reasons you have listed.
If you want an excellent long range gun for anything smaller than elk, it would be hard to beat the 7mag or the 264Mag. The 160 gr AB would be hard to beat in 7mm. No need for a muzzle brake with these calibers, either.

.325 WSM, worth considering. Lots of case life, lots of good bullets, lots of performance, very accurate, not something that you see a lot of but a very good performer.

Hey remingtonman ,soon to be government man /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I really don't think there is a ": perfect " cal. I do think there are near perfect load combos for a particular caliber /bullet / rifle / powder and so on .

It has to work for you ! thats all

Jim B.

The more that I look at the perimeters that you have set, the more convinced that my choice of 300WM in the Sendero was a good one, as it meets your requirements perfectfully.
Getting 2,950 with the Accubond is no biggie, I have seen that some have achieved a little over 3,000FPS, but I haven't yet. Looks like the simple & cost effective way for you also, though not an exotic choice.

Well guys, I am getting into more and more into shooting 1000 yards plus, so it looks like I'm going to keep my 300 RUM chambering. I'll just be getting a 28" barrel/w brake. I'll be shooting the 225g wildcat. As far as a smaller cartridge, I was talking with kirby about the 6.5 AX to be chambered down the road in my rem .270. That would almost fit the bill, but I think I want some PUNCH when my bullet gets to 1000 yards for elk and bears. Thanks for all the suggestions, they were all taken into serious consideration. I really like the 7 wsm, but does not quite have the punch for 1000 yard elk/bears. The 6.5 AX will be the long range deer rifle to 1000 yards, and will get me to 1200 yards at least for targets. The 300 RUM will get me to 1500-1600 yards for targets, so that will make me a happy camper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hello !
Have you considered the 270wsm?
I have witnessed 3 shots @100m grouping between 13mm and 22mm with factory loads from "sporter" factory (expensive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)rifles, Imagine what a custom "LR bean field gun" could achieve...

<font color="#666666"> </font>

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.