The perfect caliber

remingtonman_25_06

As I am nearing my final decision for a rifle to be built, I have come to the conclusion that I dont need anything bigger then my 300 RUM. I am having fairly good accuracy out of my stock LSS with 210g VLD's on a 15" steel plate at 1150 yards. However, my barrel is nearing 1000 rounds and I can really see the accuracy suffering. I have made up a list of criteria that I would like to fit into my new LR rifle. I would like it to be 1000 yard target/deer/antelope\coyote capable. I would also like it to be able to handle a decent size bull elk at 800 yards or a black bear. I dont want it to be a barrel burner, I'm looking for something around 2000 rounds at least. I dont want to be burning a ton of powder either. I'm trying to get the biggest bang for the buck basically that will fit the bill for all my applications. I would like to hear what some of you think would be acceptable caliber wise.

If you dont wonna get anything bigger than a .30 caliber, maybe you should be looking at one of the super 7mm, but I am not sure they will get you anywhere close to 2000 rounds from a barrel. I am buidling a .338 lapua and the more I read and research the more I am finding out how great it is. I think if I were you I would rebarrel the gun and maybe add a stock and some goodies if you dont already have them. When I read your post It made me think of a friend who wanted a fullsize 4x4, but still wanted gas mileage like his car. I dont really know if you can get those things out of what you have described although I dont think many of us truly test our weapons to what they are really capable of.

I am in Pendleton by the way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The big 7mm's I think would get a little less life then the big 30's. I think this is true because the hole is smaller. I dont know the science of it, but I believe thats how it is. I really like 30 cal, but would go down to 26 or 28. I really love the 300 RUM, but for as much high volume shooting as I do, I need a cartridge just with a little less horsepower, but still "enough." If you are in Pendleton we might have to get together sometime and shoot or go yote hunting. You also might be familiar with the neighboring town of Ione and its 1000 yard tv shoot. Anyways, my email is [email protected] so if you ever wanna shoot any, give me a buzz.

Have you thought of 300 H&H?

Looking at Hogdon's data, you'd get 90% of RUM velocity with 80% of the powder. May not double barrel life, but it is a cartridge with a pedigree.

When you added 800yd elk gun and more throat life than your 300RUM had, it made me think of the 338RUM as a plausable choice. However,you didn't want to burn much powder either so that blows that idea out the window.

Do you think that you may be asking for a bit too much from a single cartridge? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bounty Hunter

Yes the 300 WSM is getting some serious looking into. I could use the 190g VLD for targets/deer/yotes, and the 200g AB for LR elk/bears. Was also thinking of the .300 WM, or the 7 WSM/ 7mm Rem. shooting 168g berger for deer/yotes, then either the 160g AB or the 162g SST for elk/bears. I was maybe thinking that these cartridges would get me 2000 rounds of barrel life, while still giving me what I want as far as an 800 yard elk rifle, and a 1000 yard deer/target rifle. Tell me if you think a 300 WSM with a 200g AB would sit down a nice 6x6 at 800 yards. I'm thinking it probly would, only because I witnessed a couple spike kills at 750 with 7 mag and 140's, and a 300 WM 180's. Another question I have is this. Out of my Rem 700 300 RUM, could I rebarrel to a 300 WSM without doing major modifications?? I was thinking yes because the head size are the same, just the case is shorter, was thinking I could take advantage of the extra magazine length I could have and seat the bullets out a little ways to take advantage of the case capacity while shooting the heavier bullets. ANy thoughts appreciated.

I did a quick check with a 300 WSM and the 200g AB at 2900fps. It will have 1785fps, and 1415 lbs at 800 yards. I would say that would/should get the job done on elk/bears at 800 yards. Did not run the numbers for the 7mm WSM or RM, but I already know the 30 cal hits harder and retains just as much velocity.

2000 round barrel life, 800 yd Elk and burning sub 90.0 grs of powder makes cartridge selection very challenging to say the least.
You may want to consider a 280 AI. A 160 gr AB w/ 62.0 grs RL22 will get you 3000 FPS and cover Elk to 600 yds.

Regards,

JD338

.25-06,
You will not be happy, or a real man, until you get a certain cartridge that shoots a 400 grain HPBT at 3300 fps, BC of .989, supersonic past a mile and one half. It is available, being shot right now, factory ammo.
Seek and you shall find...

The long action on your 300 RUM won't allow you to just swap tubes to use the short mag, you would be better off to just buy a 300 wsm if that's what you're focusing on, best of luck in your search.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Roy

The 6.5-06 AI is another choice I was heavily looking at. I would think it would get the job done as well. If only Nosler made a 140g AB for it. I know its a tough, but I think there will be a cartridge in there that I can put to real good use.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.