The New Raptor is hatching.....

Kirby,

That is a awesome rig. Kind of wish I would have waited on my 338 AX build. Who are you using for the barrels? How much of a performance increase do you expect over a more traditional 338 ax build like the one your building on the BAT HRPIC for me? Would it be possible to use the new throat design on traditional builds and would there be any advantages/disadvantages?

Dan

Kirby,

That is a awesome rig. Kind of wish I would have waited on my 338 AX build. Who are you using for the barrels? How much of a performance increase do you expect over a more traditional 338 ax build like the one your building on the BAT HRPIC for me? Would it be possible to use the new throat design on traditional builds and would there be any advantages/disadvantages?

Dan

Dan,

Sounds like you're in the same boat as me as I'm having Kirby build a 338AX with BAT HRPIC and all the parts are at his shop for it now. I'd also like to know what he thinks about the last question you have as I don't think he's got to putting the parts to my rifle together yet.

Jon

Took the new rifle out this morning. Left the house and there was no wind at all, by the time I got to my shooting area, 15-20 mph winds, go figure.....

Figured what the hell, I knew what the old stock did as far as vertical spreads in the wind, if this stock helped any it would still be easily seen. Set the rifle up, set the video up and zeroed in on a 4" rock at 850 yards for a zero. Took three shots, to get close, made a slight scope adjustment and let things cool off. Took three shots. First shot hit the rock, second and third landed on top of each other, well within a couple inches but landed around 1 moa low of the target rock. Windage was pretty **** close for the wind conditions I was shooting in. This nightforce does seem to have a bit of settling in after scope adjustments from what I can see so far, unusual for a NF for sure but for hold over shooting not a big issue.

Went out to 987 yards. No scope adjustment and hoped the impact would remain consistant, that being dropping around 1 moa. It did just that. Three shots easily went into 6" ctc with most of the spread being horizontal from the 4:00 direction of the wind, still very happy.

Moved out to 1276 yards after letting the barrel cool, again, no scope adjustment and holding where Exbal listed. Again, right at 1 moa low and these two landed within three inches of each other, one right above the other, very good.

Last test, moved out to an even 1500 yards. Again, no scope adjustment, first shot, right at 1 moa low but around 1 moa to the left of center. Second and third landed within 8" of each other windage pretty well perfect. I think the wind got me on the first shot. Height wise, they were all three within 1/2 moa so again, very happy with that.

Will head back out tomorrow and see if she is repeatable!!! There was no sense zeroing for height of impact as with this much wind running up the face of the hill, there would have certainly been some amount of updraft raising the bullets impact. All I really wanted to see is if the rifle would be more consistant compared to the HS stock and it certainly seems to be MUCH more consistant. Looks like the project is back on track and heading in the right direction. Not every day you can put a couple shots within 1/4 moa at nearly 1300 yards, especially in a 15-20 mph crosswind so I was very happy to see that.

Almost exactly one week to go!!!

Kirby with night force scope you have what power range did you decide to go with, is it 3.5-15x or 5.5-22x with 50mm or 56mm bell with np-r1 reticle. Do you need to have the adjustable cheek piece really high to make it work? How do you feel with out cheek piece adjusted at all it would work to keep low with stock and good cheek weld?

The scope on this Raptor LRSS is the NF NXS 5.5-22x 50mm with NP-R1 reticle. For hold over shooting I set the scope on 11x for big game hunting. This allows alot of low light brightness, larger field of view and more moas of hold over using the reticle as there are 2 moa between each reference line at this power setting.

Because of the longer full diameter barrel shank on the Raptors barrel, I have to use a bit higher scope position then would be normal for a conventionally contoured barrel. To get proper scope clearance to the barrel I have to use the 1.000" NF ultralight rings where standard for the 50mm would be 0.885".

Yes you really need an adjustable CP with this set up to get proper cheek weld and that is why the Raptor LRSS will come standard with an adjustable CP.

Took her out this morning with my dad. Just one of those pratice sessions. From the last field test, I new I had some vertical adjustments to make as I was landing around 1 moa low estimate. Cranked her up 1 moa and took a shot at 850 yards. First shot from a cold barrel was 1/2 moa high and about 1/4 moa to the right. We were shooting in a 10-12 mph wind from out 4 o'clock direction.

Dialed the scope down 1/2 moa and took two clicks out of the windage. Let the barrel cool for 20 minutes in the wind as we watched some mule deer that were across the valley.

Got back on the rifle and this time the roughly 4" diameter rock crumbled as the big SMK landed on center.

Then moved out to 1012 yards where there was a nearly vertical face on the valley wall with lots of 4 to 5" diameter light colored rocks. Perfect place for precision field practice as you can tell within inches of where your bullets hit in the bare dirt around the target rocks. No need though. This was one of those special days, or maybe this will be the norm with the new Raptor. For me it was a special day. First shot using the exbal hold over and dialing in for the wind simply reduced the rock to fine gravel. Cranked another round in, found another target rock and talked Dad into it to spot for me. Gravel again. Found another rock and racked the last round out of the HS magazine and again, gravel. I was very happy, extremely happy.

Final test came at 1300 yards. Let the barrel cool. THese test was at a different direction and the wind had come up a bit more. First shot landed perfectly as far as drop but about 1/2 moa to the left. Second shot, height was dead on again but this time around 3/4 moa to the left. THe two of them easily within 3 to 4" ctc. I figured the first shot was a pull by me but instead obviously the wind was tricking me. Held 1/2 moa to the right and let the third SMK fly and dead centered the rock.

VERY happy with this long range test. Things are coming together quickly now and the Raptor is starting to perform exactly as I knew it should. I am going to try to get out to the range at least a few more times this week before the hunt but from seeing what the rifle did today, if the conditions co-operate, the Raptor should do anything I ask it to do and I am sure it will outperform anything I can do from my shooters ability standpoint!!!

Well done Kirby!! Now the big girl is responding to your touch. That's just the way you wanted it. Now, bring home that big whitetail and let's see the proof of the puddin'. Good luck, God bless, and be careful out there!

Jim

Kirby,

Very happy to hear that your work seems to all be coming together.

You do realize that we all expect professional quality video and pics from your upcoming hunt, right? :D

Good luck on the hunt,

Jon

I am pretty sure if I do my part there will be some good pics of we can get some animals to co-op with us. If they do and things do not turn out great, I am sure it will not be the rifles fault!!! Nothing like a bit of pressure. I am 100% confident the rifle will hold up its end of the bargin.

We will do our best to get great video and pics. Professional quality, well, we will see!!! LOL

Good luck to you and those OK boy's. You will be in fine company, and even if the critters don't work completely into your game plan, your still going to have a ball.

Well, the time has come. In the morning at 4:00 AM we pull out. Loaded down and ready for a week of testing the Ratpor LRSS. This has been several years in the coming and while there is some pressure on my mind that she will perform as expected, there is also great excitement.

The potential of this hunt is great, if I do my part, hopefully the results will match that potential.

Time will tell. Several hundred miles of very bad roads to deal with first before we can relax and do what we do.

As always, there will be a full report coming on my return home, good or bad, as always you will get the full story!!!

I should be back in the shop around Feb 2nd or 3rd so if your trying to get ahold of me, I will be gone until then.

Finally, the Raptor will fly, hopefully she will hunt well, reach far and hit hard.....

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.