The New Raptor is hatching.....

Although I didn't mention it before, so as to not deviate from the Raptor information being passed on, this issue is another reason I like GJ treated bores. I can leave my firearm fouled longer in storage because it fouls less frequently and the Gun Juice is offering some additional corrosion protection so I don't feel the need to come back and clean after every shooting event. Therefore when I grab the rifle to head out to hunt or shoot, the first shot fired is from a fouled bore over a GJ slicked up bore. If I want to check zero before hunting, the first shot should be on the money. I don't need to fire a fouler shot or two. However if you do feel the need to clean your bore after every shooting event, then Gun Juice would be a good lube and protectant during the period of storage prior to the next shooting event IMO. A light oil is the idea - not axle grease or STP oil treatment.

I use a sulfur based heavy cutting oil with moly mixed in, its my cutting oil I use when machining.

Kroil would work just as well as would any quality bore oil such as Rem oil or similiar. I do not care for Gun Juice for this proceedure as that is not what it was designed for. Instead its designed to be applied over several firings to lay down a dry film on the barrel. That is not what I am looking to do, I just want lubrication on the first firing and then go from there.

Now when used correctly, GJ does have benefits for sure but I personally believe its best used only AFTER a barrel has been fully broken in the old fashion way. THen when used after that process, it seems to offer even more benefit then advertised as far as a fouling reducing agent.

No bullets in the air today, average wind speed is pushing 40 mph and gusts well over 50 mph!!! Another beautiful day on the east slopes of the Rockiers here in Montana.

KNHOTROD,

I use heat lamps to warm bedding on 50 McMillans a year and about half that many Manner stocks and never have any problems at all. The HS just behaved differently this time.

We had other weird problems like yours too, till we talked to TOM at H-S precision this was what he mentioned. Just passing along info. We do about 50 stocks all HS per year. The good thing is it was your rifle not customer on once and life time hunt. Sure looks like nice weather in Montana.

If the wind was blowing at 10 mph I would be out shooting all day long!!!:D

Kirby lives on the Eastern Front of the Rockies, a 10mph wind day this time of year for him is about as good as gets.gun)

Started off about 20-30mph where I was working today, near Three Forks, and by the end of the day it was steady state 50+ :rolleyes::D

Kirby,
Thanks for all of your responses to my emails. If I understand your post correctly, your 7MM AM & 338 AM will outperform your new Raptor chambered in the same caliber? Do I have it right?

Jeff

Jeffwhip,

The Raptor LRSS is a complete rifle platform, not a specific chambering. It will be offered initially in the following chamberings:300 RUM, 338 Edge, 338 Lapua and my wildcats in 7mm AM, 300 AX, 338 AX and 375 AX.

The sporter version will be next and offered in the same chambering options.

Then will come the 408 CT class Raptor rifle chambered in my 338 AM and 375 AM.

The Raptor receiver and rifle is designed to handle extremely high pressures safely. I never recommend loading to dangerous pressure levels EVER. But the Raptor will allow a shooter to get the most out of the Lapua class brass without getting into dangerous pressures and do so with the longest brass life possible because the receiver is EXTREMELY strong and simply will not allow the brass to expand at any realistic pressures.

Will the Raptor outperform my standard rifles using other componants, well its designed with many features that when combined should offer several advantages over current standard custom rifles.

The design goal is to produce a ready to shoot rifle system that offers the accuracy, stability, rigidity, consistancy and shootability of a 25 lb rifle but do so in a 15 lb rifle package.

The sporter version is to offer the same things you would see in a 15-16 lb rifle but do it with a 9 lb rifle weight.

The 408 CT class Raptor should offer the ability to build rifles down to the 15 lb range easily without sacrificing on accuracy and without using exotic carbon wrapped barrels or carbon fiber stocks.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.