The New Raptor is hatching.....

BB,

The smaller critters were casualties of handgun fire at close range!!! The 1911 in 400 Corbon got to do some playing as well!!!

We donated most of the meat and left it there. We did take some of the finer cuts on both deer though. Eat some back strap steaks last night off the whitetail, very good eating, never had Oklahoma whitetail before but was very good!!!

3fingervic,

I am not sure what model it was but it was their very top end scope. Almost fell down when he told me what the retail cost would be on them!!!! Looked like a nice piece of glass though.

Huainamachero,

I found a couple things that I wanted to change before the hunt. One thing is that I will be using 10-32tpi tapered head screws on the scope rail base. These are vastly superior to even the 8-40 in clamping strength as well as keeping the rail base solidly in a fixed position on the top of the receiver without the need to pin rails or anything like that.

I will be adjusting the barrel contour a bit as well to trim things down slightly and there will be some minor cosmetic changes to the receiver body itself.

Function wise, the Raptor prototype performed perfectly in some very dusty conditions. Very happy with the basic design, not its just time to do some minor tweaking to get it as close to perfect as I can figure out!!!!

Certainly no complaints.

Man I'm glad you got that big boy on the ground. I think I was as nervous as both you and Shawn about getting him on the ground!! Definatly no ground shrinkage on that monster!!

Glad I was able to come down and say hi. I don't know what it is about you coming down here but everytime you do I take and unproven rifle/scope combo to the field. The best time to familiarize yourself w/a scope is NOT shooting critters!! Oh well, I had fun anyway and it was good see you again. Wish I could have come down for a couple of days but w/closing on my house and work I just couldn't make it happen.

BTW, what did that Fallow score???

It is the RAZOR. So far I like it but as you can tell by the story, I'm still getting used to it. I'm also making the swich from MOA to MIL so that even adds to the confusion.

So what's the scoop on the RAZOR? What complaints, what are your likes? Give us a low down on the product if you have time please. I have been eye balling it and have wondered if it is worth the money next to a Night Force, IOR, US Optics, or S&B.

Thanks,
Tank

So what's the scoop on the RAZOR? What complaints, what are your likes? Give us a low down on the product if you have time please. I have been eye balling it and have wondered if it is worth the money next to a Night Force, IOR, US Optics, or S&B.

Thanks,
Tank

Don't want to steal Kirby's thunder so I'll keep it brief. Glass is great. I don't think it's Swaro good but it's definatly on par w/or maybe just a hair better than the Mark 4 or NF. Love and hate the FF reticle. It sucks for load development but really liked it on the critters. I've started using one of the small windage dots as my aim point when trying to shoot groups on paper. Once I started doing that my groups shrunk. Clicks are good and positive. I haven't cranked on the knobs enough to tell you anything about returning to zero. My guess is it will be spot on. I could go on and on about it but the truth is I just haven't used it enough to provide much helpful info. I plan to get out in the next few weeks and bang on some steel. That will be it's first true test.

Bailey1474,

It was good to see you again my friend. I totally understand about the headache closing on a home. As you know we just went through that as well. I was very relieved to hear your old home sold, that is very good news in this market!!!

We were all in pretty poor spirits after that first morning watching that big buck hit the bush. Until he hit the ground Shawn and I were both pretty down in the dumps. Worked out though. Always pays to be a big lucky!!!

Don't worry, anytime I try to crossover between moa and mil I loose 75 IQ points!!! Unfortunately I only have around 60 to start with!!! :D

For being new to that scope, it took a few shots to get dialed in but once you did you were laying those sheep down pretty well!!!

Well Kirby,

I'm glad the weather didn't totally ruin your hunt. I know it takes a LOT to drag you out of that shop, and seeing you got the one you were after even with the added drama was icing on the cake.

Bill,

Long time no post for me, but glad to see your still hangin in there, making it happen as well. I haven't been up to much hog slayin of late but rumor has it, Tim has a hunt on for this weekend, provided the river don't come up and spoil things.

You folks take care, fun's over, Kirby didn't smile,:D so it's back to work. LOL

Thanks for sharing Kirby, I know how those things happen as well. You ought to see me tryin to get the drop on one at less than 20yds with a stick and string. LOL

Kirby,
Thanks for the reply.
Autocritical thinking and a objective autoevaluation will let you obtain better quality in your results.
Congrats again for that magnificent build, rifle, buck and hunting experience.

Congratulations to both of you. Thanks for sharing the pics and story with us.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.