The New Raptor is hatching.....

Do you expect the lighter weight rifles you envision down the road to use this same receiver? So the same receiver would be used in both 14 lb rifles and 8-9 lb rifles?

Phorwath,

Yes, the lightweight versions will also have this same receiver but with a dramatically different barrel contour. You could never get into a 7 lb class rifle with this type of receiver, well you could but it would not be easy but for the 8-9 lb range, very doable and should offer the stability and rigidness of a 15 lb rifle easily.

Nonya,

Yes, techincally it would classify under the new Montana registry exception law. For those that do not know what that is. The Montana house and senate passed a law that said any firearm made in the state of Montana would not be required to have a background check filed with the FBI on purchase to another Montana citizen and also no registration paper work would need to be filled out.

That all sounds good but here is the fly in the soup and the law makers knew this going in making the law more of a statement and nothing else. TO make a firearm, I have to have a manufacturers FFL license, that is a Federal license. I do not need any license from the state of Montana other then tax IDs and commerical permits from the county I am in to run my business and also satisfy any federal requirements for this type of business. That meaning, I have to have an FFL.

Since the federal government, specifically the BATF is in charge of issuing these licenses, they can also revoke them which would mean I would not be able to be a firearms manufacturer. Simply put, the feds still have their arm up us FFL holders rears to far to thumb our nose at them to hard!!!

In the end, if we want to continue interstate sales of firearms, we have to follow Federal laws and that means register and background checks on new firearm sales....

Took the new Raptor LRSS out this past weekend a few times. THe first time I took her out it was roughly 15-18 degrees out while I was shooting. This time 38-40 degrees. Much more comfortable.

On the first range session, the rifle was dead on from 550 to 1500 yards as far as drop.

The second trip out to the range I tested from 750 to 1550 yards at five different ranges and at each one, I was getting around 3/4 to 1 1/4 moa less drop then I had been on the earlier range test. Extraction of the cases seemed tighter as well so when I got back to the shop I chronoed a couple loads and they were definately going faster then before with the same load.

This Ramshot Magnum powder is advertised as being just as stable under temp changes as any of the extreme stick powders(Hodgdon) but that did not seem to be the case in my range results.

Do not get me wrong, it shot great. At 1450 yards I shot a three shot group that measured under 5" ctc and at 1550 yards she printed a three shot group well under 7" ctc in somewhat windy conditions but I just am not happy with the shift in velocity with different temps. This was only around a 20-22 degree temp change, something you would easily see from morning to afternoon in most areas during hunting season.

I am going to test some Retumbo and see how that works. This is my standard powder in my standard 338 AX. I will likely drop a bit of velocity simply because of not being able to get as much powder in the case but I should still be able to break 3000 fps with the 300 gr SMK and if velocity stays consistant, thats far more important. If Retumbo proves to slow for the 338 AX with the Hybrid throat, I will step down to H-1000 for a bit faster burn rate.

Right now its winter again in Montana, Supposed to get 8 to 10" of snow today and tonight and -5 degrees for the high tomorrow but a warm up this weekend is coming so I will be back on the range.

I would also like to note that the drop I tested at 750 and 1000 yards were close enough I would have never missed a big game animal the size of a pronghorn or larger. At the longer ranges I did see more difference in point of impact, there was no degrade in accuracy however

More to come soon.

Thanks Kirby.

Hey, I'm impressed with those groups at those very extended ranges. You've definitely assembled a shooter. Just a matter of settling on powder and powder charges now. Cool stuff.

That sucks to hear about the Ram Shot not working out for you. I was going to try that Mag Pro. I am trying to find a powder for my 300WSM that will give me the speeds I want. Hopefully this new to me barrel will give me the speed I want with H4350. RL17 I am finding to be very unstable in temp changes greater than 10 to 15 degrees. This could cause problems sitting in a field groundhog hunting.

My bad, just realized that Ram Shot and Accurate were two different companies. Have you ever tried the Accurate powder line?

Tank

Last edited:
Well i've started to feed the old piggy again!!! maybe the time you get the raptor hatched and ready for sale he'll be fat enough for me to get one!!!!! keep up the good work

Liltank,

Yes, two different companies. I have used Mag Pro a bit, mainly in the short mags from 6.5 to 300. Worked well but did not test them over a variaty of temps to get those results. It did perform well accuracy wise though.

I would not give up on Ramshot powders. I have used them quite a bit and have been very happy with them. Remember the chambering I am using, quite extreme. In a lesser chambering, you would likely not see this amount of velocity spreads. Also, remember that I was getting the most variation at +1200 yards. Most rifles, including most of my own rifles will not be used for big game hunting at this range.

At 750, 880 and 1008 yards, yes, in the warmer temps the shots did land a bit higher. That said, every shot would have easily and cleanly landed in the vitals of any big game animal. Shooting at anything less then 1/2 mile was simply boring. I hate to say that and give the wrong impression but it was.

Do not give up on it, give here a try and it may still perform very well for you. Its good to have a ball powder for the mid burn rate ranges so do not give up on it before trying.

That sucks to hear about the Ram Shot not working out for you. I was going to try that Mag Pro. I am trying to find a powder for my 300WSM that will give me the speeds I want. Hopefully this new to me barrel will give me the speed I want with H4350. RL17 I am finding to be very unstable in temp changes greater than 10 to 15 degrees. This could cause problems sitting in a field groundhog hunting.

My bad, just realized that Ram Shot and Accurate were two different companies. Have you ever tried the Accurate powder line?

Tank
The Accurate Magpro that I'm using in my 7mm RM seems pretty temp. stable.
The batch of 162 gr SST that I loaded lasted all year. Shot great a 72*F and also at 20*F two weeks ago. My hunting rifle took a serious thump on the hunt so the group was 3" to the left. But still on the money vertically.

I'll stop now before I divert this thread any further. :D
Sorry Yall.

The Accurate Magpro that I'm using in my 7mm RM seems pretty temp. stable.
The batch of 162 gr SST that I loaded lasted all year. Shot great a 72*F and also at 20*F two weeks ago. My hunting rifle took a serious thump on the hunt so the group was 3" to the left. But still on the money vertically.

I'll stop now before I divert this thread any further. :D
Sorry Yall.

Cool, thanks for the reply. How does it load, meter??? I've been strictly IMR until last year. I tried Hodgdon and didn't have very good luck. Then I went to Alliant and could produce groups, but they fared with the weather. So I guess one more company to experiment with.:rolleyes:

Tank

Kirby, I can't wait until you get the sporter rifle project going! This current project is just exciting to follow. Thanks for the updates!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.