The New Raptor is hatching.....

OK boys, a little more information for you.

The original Raptor project was simple a receiver project. The design goals of my Raptor were basically to produce the finest receiver on the market designed specifically focused toward long range precision hunting. I believe I accomplished that goal but the project got derailed because of my poor choice in manufacturing partner which came to light after much wasted time and money.

This brings us to the Raptor LRSS project. Unlike the original project, this is a much broader ranging project, not just a receiver, an entire precision rifle system. My goal is to offer a complete turn key system for someone wanting to long range hunt, offering legit extreme range precision with the consistancy of a 50 lb bench rifle but in a package in the sub 15 lb range.

The rifle will include several one of a kind features to improve performance and consistancy, just to hit on them quickly without any detail(sorry, not yet!!!) APS Raptor DRL barrel design, APS Raptor Performance throat and many other features in the specific receiver that I will leave till later.

Simply put, compared to the original Raptor receiver project, this is Vastly more extensive. What I wanted the Raptor receiver to offer over current receivers, the Raptor LRSS will offer the same advantage over the current top level of rifle performance.

LRSS stands for Long Range Shooting System.

The rifles will come with a few options to start with but basically similiar. The will be available with the HS Precision DM or Seekins DM floorplates to start with with the option for an internal wyatts 3.820" extended box down the road.

The stock for this project is one of my favorite. Tom Manners has agreed to work with me on the special inletting needed for my Double Recoil lug Raptor barrel system starting with his MCS-T4A stock which is very similiar to the McMillan A-5 in design and feel.

The rifles will come with the option of having a NF NXS installed on the rifle as well with a set of NF 30 mm Ultralight rings. Like I said, I want this to be a turn key rifle including hard case and in the case of my wildcat chamberings a set of loading dies as well. All rifles will also come in a quality hard case but I have not decided on manufacturer yet for that case.

The initial list of chamberings the Raptor LSS will be offered in will include:
300 RUM
338 RUM
338 Edge
338 Lapua

7mm Allen Magnum
300 Allen Xpress
338 Allen Xpress

This project has many steps, this is step one, the release of the Raptor LRSS. Step two is to work on a lighter weight(8-9 lb) sporter version using basically the same design but scaled down for a much lighter weight package.

Step three, the Xtreme Raptor. You guessed it, for the big boys. Plans are already in the works. I designed the Raptor receiver so that with only a simple receiver body diameter increase and receiver thread diameter increase, it will easily handle the 408 CT class chamberings!!!! And yes, the new Raptor design for these big rounds will also have all the other unique features of this original Raptor LRSS. Initially only in single shot but it should allow me to get rifle weight down to the sub 15 lb range ready to hunt with........

Again back to the Raptor LRSS. There are a few out there working on bull pup designs to shorten our conventional rifle systems which is very interesting work. I went a different direction in my Raptor wanting to offer a traditional rifle but with the strength and rigidity of a 50 lb bench rifle but in a rifle of conventional rifle dimension specs. I believe this rifle will do this very well as well as allow me to morph it into lighter sporter weight versions and then scale it up for some truely serious rifles.

The Actual Raptor recever is somewhat similiar to the old design but I will fully admit, there are several new features that make it a vastly superoir receiver to build on then the old design. My goal was the quality of the BAT and Nesika Bay receivers, from the prototype in my hands, that goal was FULLY met and the looks are very agressive and dramatic.

This will not be a rifle for the faint of heart, not in looks or performance. I did not set out to build a "Pretty" rifle, I set out to build a rifle that makes you step back and after looking at it for a couple seconds, the only comment I want my customers to be thinking is ****!!! I think she will do this easily. Then after shooting, I just want smiles.

No pictures yet. The rifle is nearly completed but until its finished, no pictures.

The Raptor LRSS will be field tested this coming month on a late trophy whitetail hunt and Throphy Aoudad hunt in Oklahoma. As with the first field test for the original Raptor, My good friends from OK will be with me to try her out!!! That will be the last week in Janurary.

After that I will sit down and decide what changes if any I want to the prototype Raptor design, make those changes and go from there.

At this point, I am NOT taking any pre orders, sorry. When the time comes, I will let you all know when I will be taking orders.

Pictures soon, range reports and performance reports soon after.

Stay tuned!!

My theory behind the Raptor LRSS is that since we have gotten into this long range or precision shooting, we have had two things that cause problems, barrel flexing and stock flexing. As long as they do this consistantly there is no real problem but as we all know when these two things flex and contact each other you can get serious problems with consistancy especially at long range.

Over the years we have done alot to control this problem. Quality bedding of the receiver helps alot, floating the barrel also helps dramatically with a good match grade stress free barrel.

But we all have found or experienced issues with stocks flexing unpredictably and there has really been no way to get around that other then make the stocks so rigid that they simply flex less, that generally involves either using a solid aluminum stock(UGLY) or inlaying aluminum skeletons inside the stocks which increases weight but does a good job and to date is about the best choice for rigidity and cosmetic results.

My thinking, why not take the barrel and stock and let them work together to make the strongest, most flex resistant system possible. Bed the two in a perfectly stressfree system most of the length from the rear receiver tang to nearly the tip of the forend.

Yes, if significant force is applied to the stock, you will likely see some vertical stringing on target but when shooting off a bipod and rear bag, this should never be a problem in any way, in fact, it should dampen any "bipod bounce" shooting off a hard surface.

Again, just things I think about at night while laying awake.

I have already had some tell me the system will not work when the barrel heats up. My response to that is how hot will the barrel get when big game hunting or even long range varmint hunting. If the barrel gets hot to the point it will cause problems, I will be seeing the rifle owner soon for a new barrel!!! LOL

I have tested these claims of accuracy problems with my heavy V-Block rifles which are bedding in a similiar manner and have never EVER had a problem at all. So why not just use that system which uses an aluminum bedding V-Block that the barrel sits in and is bolted through holding it down into the stock, mostly because of the size requirements needed for inletting the V-Block which eliminates the possibility to use the design in a sporter weight rifle.

Plus, I see no real advantage for a big game rifle. The forward mounting bolt will be pillar bedded, as will the two receiver mounting bolt positions for a totally stress free bedding.

The Aluminum bedding block can have some "Heat Sink" properties which can help a barrel cool faster but again, on a big game rifle, this will not have any advantage. Another issue is cost, my double recoil lug system will be much less expensive when we get into production then a V-Block would be. Also, the Double Recoil Lug design has twice the recoil lug contact area to the stock. Not only twice the contact area but 50% of that contact area will be ahead on the forend where the stock is solid filled completely behind it. No more relying on the stock at the traditional recoil lug position which is just ahead of the relatively weak magazine walls.

With the larger chamberings, mag wall bowing can be a big problem, that should be eliminated with my Double Recoil Lug barrel design.

Much to test and prove but I am 100% confident it will perform as designed. You all will be the first to know!!!

Again, pictures will be coming soon.

Kirby, That sounds very interesting and innovative. Good luck with your Raptor project.

They will likely be available for sale as just receiver and rifle but right now focusing on the refinement of the rifle. I will make that decision by the time I start taking orders either way.

My thinking, why not take the barrel and stock and let them work together to make the strongest, most flex resistant system possible. Bed the two in a perfectly stressfree system most of the length from the rear receiver tang to nearly the tip of the forend.

Hey Kirby,
There is a gunsmith that uses the same idea building bench guns. I saw one after he was finished with it. He had Devcon from the receiver to the forend. It was a heavy gun though. Sounds cool what you are doing. Can't wait to see what produce. I know my cousin has his jaws salivating over the thought of buying one when you start selling them.

Tank

Oh great, Kirby is building my first long range rifle for me that I ordered a year ago and then, WHAM...a new supergun. I'll just go over here and try to sell more ice melter so I can get one of these.:D

Got her fully assembled late this afternoon. Turned out very good. I wish I had the Manner MCS-T4A stock on her but the HS adjustable will have to do for now. Few things about that stock I do not overly care for, I think I mentioned I much prefer the fixed CP model over the adjustable but it will work just fine, more cosmetic then anything.

Anyway, came in at 16 1/4 lbs which is a couple lbs over the Gen I Raptor but that is mainly in the heavy HS stock (compared to McMillan A-5) and the NF NXS scope(compared to Leupold Mk4). The final system should be very similiar in weight to the original Raptor rifle but with several advantages and certainly under the Idaho weight limit.

Was to late to get any pics tonight, will do that tomorrow and post them then as well. We are supposed to have a cold spell move in for a couple days so load development may be delayed but by this weekend bullets should certainly be in the air. My performance goals for this rifle with 30" barrel will be 3100 fps with the Raptor Hybrid throat design and thats with a short OAL of 3.670" which will easily fit in any standard length mag box so no need at all for exotic 4" long mag boxes, UNLESS you want one!!!! Seated out to nearly 4" OAL, I have no idea what she will do, time will tell but for now, if I get up to 3100 fps I will be very happy.

I think this should not be a problem as the standard 338 AX will easily push 3000 fps in a conventional throated 30" barrel!!!!

More coming very soon. Pics tomorrow!!!

Kirby I should have waited till later today to cum up I would have loved to see it as a finished gun maybe next week till then good luck on the load development see you next week

Got a hair tonight and was thinking, the Raptor would be at home at night!!! Plus the black background gives a bit of a sinister look to her, or should I say more of that look. Very happy with how she finished out, if she shoots as well as she looks, which I have no worries that she will, the Raptor LRSS should be a hell of a precision weapon system.

PC290344.jpg

PC290346.jpg

PC290348.jpg

PC290349.jpg

You notice that the receiver is engraved and labeled with Glens Rebel markings, this was simply because the receiver had to have legal markings and we have not yet decided on how I want the Raptor engraved for the ATF marking variance. Also, you can tell this stock was MADE to work as it does not fit quite right in a couple areas. Looks pretty good but on production Raptors with the Manner stock, this will not be an issue of any kind and it will be inletted specifically for the Raptor barreled receiver. For the time being, this will work just fine.

PC290353.jpg

This view really shows the new Double Recoil Lug barrel design and bi-fluted barrel.

Using this HS stock, the rear swivel stud on the forend was removed and its hole was modified and used for the 1/4x28 tpi mounting bolt holding the barrel solidly into the barrel channel. On production Raptors, this will be in the same place but a rear swivel stud will be positioned just behind the mounting bolt recess so that option will still be available if wanted.

Now to get load development done and bullets in the air!!! Stay tuned.

Kirby,
Congrats!!!
That is one sweet looking rifle, I am going to be dreaming with the Raptor tonight.
Looking forward to see your shooting results.
REAL COOL RIFLE YOU JUST MADE THERE!!!gun)

Very interesting Kirby. Reminds me of the muscle cars from the 70s in the sense of a powerful looking action/barrel combo. The slimmer ejection port looks like it would serve to stiffen up the action. But the action should be exposed to much less stress anyhow due to the additional forward recoil lug. Will be impatiently awaiting the results of your field testing(s) and report(s).

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts