The New 284.

25 Otter

Thought I would post up a couple pics of the new 284. She started life as a "J" locker in 30/06. Since then she has had a new firing pin assy,a Holland lug,a truing,a Shilen #4 pipe,the factory trigger smoothed up and lightened,Leupold double dovetails epoxied and lapped,and bedded in a B&C Medalist M40 A1 stock. Range trip scheduled for Wed afternoon. Hee Hee oh boy :):D:cool:.
000_0099.jpg

000_0097.jpg

Thanks guys. That's a 24" tube. I hope to have a couple targets to post soon.

We need more details. Seeing you are using a longer magazine and action did you long throat it? Is the barrel twisted for 180s? Enquiring minds want to know.

My 284 really lit up with RL-17 and 150-160 gr bullets. Be sure to try some.

Sorry. I left out some pertinant information. My bad. She has a 9" twist. My intensions are to run mainly 150 and 160 gr bullets. The way it stands right now,with no errosion, a 160gr Partition seated to the lands with no jam,puts the base of the bullet flush with the bottom of the case neck.

What I have loaded up to try right now (tomorrow), is RL19 and 7828 SSC. 150gr Hornady V-Maxs over the RL19 and Nosler Partitions over the 7828 SSC. Nothing hot. If I would end up with the 160 PTs comfortably above the 2,800fps mark I would be very very happy. Weighing in @ 10.26 pounds field ready it may be a little hefty for this falls elk hunt. That's 3/4 lb over what the 300 Ultra weighs, and 1.5 lbs over the M70 otter 6.

I may do my load work and wring her out with the M40 stock for a while. Then see if I can find a B&C Alaskan 2 to bed her up in for good. If it shoots like I think it should,I'll want to spend a lot of time with it. A slimmer trimmer stock will be in line then. I don't think Stocky's is ever going to have the Alaskan 2 in stock. I got tired of checking the site twice a day for 6 months and ordered the M40. It's a little clubby,but the quality is great for the price. I'd have to sell my soul to get a Manners or McMillan. Super stocks,but not within my reach. Rats!

Thanks for the additional details.

I have killed one bull and 5 cows with my 284 but that was a long time ago. I used 140, 150 and 160 nos pt. Haven't used that rifle for elk in at least 15 yrs. I often bring it as a spare but so far it hasn't been used.

Now days I load a moly coated 160 accubond seated out just under 3.1" to fit the lengthened magazine box. Very close to rifling but not contacting. 57 gr of RL-17 from 23" barrel 3070 fps @ 75 degrees. You simply must try RL-17 in your rig.

Made it out to the range this afternoon. I should have waited for better conditions,but hey a new rifle can't be sitting around collecting dust. Know what I mean? Anyhow. here is a target of 150gr Hornady V-Max. The mirage was terrible and the wind was being a pain as well. Gusty and nearly dead right /left. I didn't get too far with the session as the 7828 short cut and 160gr Partitions showed preasure signs early and had to be abandoned. The RL19 was more forgiving. I expect better results next trip. Sorry for double clutching the pics,my bad. I see I noted that as a "mag" primer. Nope,just a straight Winchester large rifle. I was working with the 300 Ultra as well,and noted it wrong for the 284.
000_0100.jpg

000_0100.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.