The hook has been set again

Ernie

SPONSOR
I was able to work with a 15 year old young man this week during WY-SHOT.
I am pretty sure the hook is set pretty deep.
I had him shooting my new H-S Precision 6XC specialty pistol.
He shot it out to 700+ yards and at the last stage connected with all but one target.
I am really proud of Logan. His father shot the same SP and had a great time as well.
It was fun watching them both learn. He ended up winning a pair of Vortex binos.
15" barrel/107 SMK's at 2725 fps.
I took it out past 1k on Monday myself-Fun, fun, fun!

WY-SHOT is a combination of a Steel Match and prairie dog shoot (Multiple handgun classes for the pd's).
For day 1 (Short Course) I have posted this years target.
On stage 4 there was a pd target at 731 yards too.
Day 2 (Long Course), the longest target was 988 yards (16" and the pd target). For day 2 we back up at a different landing.

2016 WY-SHOT Shooting Time Formula

With 6 stages/shooting points we will have from 5-9 targets per stage
I have ten 5" square targets, and ten 10" square targets, plus other various sized steel.

Here is the scheme we use to incorporate a time element into the match.
Each shooting position will have 5 to 9 targets downrange.

Our formula is to allow a total time ("par time") for the shooter to set up and engage all targets that is equal to six (6) seconds per 100 yards per target, totaled for all targets from that position, plus 60 seconds of time.

For example, if a target is at 1,000 yards, that will add 60 seconds of shooting time; a target at 500 yards would add 30 seconds of shooting time.
If, for example, a shooting position had four targets at 1,000 yards (240 seconds) and five targets at 500 yards (150 seconds), plus the 60 seconds, that would allow a total of 450 seconds (7 minutes, 30 seconds) for a shooter to engage all targets from that shooting position.

Thus, when a shooter is given the start command for that shooting position, the clock will start, and the last shot must be fired before 450 seconds have elapsed.
Any shots fired (or not fired) after the time ends will count as missed targets.
No other penalty will be assessed for late shots, such as failure to engage.
The shooting time for each shooting position will be rounded up to the nearest half-minute and marked on the score sheets.

If the times seems long, I will give a little perspective. It takes a lot longer to reload a specialty pistol, since it is a single shot, the recoil knocks you off your target in recoil typically, so you have to find it all over again, plus on stage one/day one all of the shots were taken from the sitting/kneeling position using Bog Gear.
Everything else was done from the prone position.

That looks like a ton of fum! One of these days I'll get a chance to head down there for the shoot. There's just nothing like that, which I'm aware of, here in WA. I even put together a mag fed 260 Rem SP for that style of event!

Thanks for the pictures and explanations, that looks like it would be a lot of fun. I was wondering how the competition worked, that makes perfect sense to me.

Shooting at a rifle range in the Army is similar in that certain pop up targets have a different amount of time they come up for. A 50 meter target comes up for 3 seconds, a 300 meter target comes up for 8 seconds. If they both come up, the two stay up for a total of 11 seconds.

As far as I know, there is not a shooting event like this for SP's anywhere:)
Actually there is. Ranyners Range south of Zanesville Ohio has a monthly "tactical" match where handguns equally compete along with rifle shooters. Bench or prone shooting.

Ranges of 235-1000 yards.

Cool. I forgot about that.
No benches at our match though.
I was speaking about a handgun only match that strictly field shooting.
One of our stages you do either sitting on the ground or kneeling using Bog Gear as well with targets out to 450 yards or so. A couple of those were 5" this year

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.