The Heartbreak Buck

Great story and great buck. Thanks for sharing and I'm glad the other guy was decent about it all. I've seen those situations turn rather ugly. I am happy for you and glad to hear there are still some people out there that can admit defeat.

I've lived in Colorado all my life. I didn't hunt until I was in my mid 30's when some from good friends showed me the ropes 20 years ago. Every year the number of hunters seems to double and access to public land gets tougher. While I have never had to argue over who shot the animal, and who gets it, I haven't met too many Colorado public land hunters that haven't had that experience. I have, however, seen animals get shot by other hunters, then take off running. At that point, just for my own peace and satisfaction, I just keep hunting and look for another animal. In my opinion, two grown men arguing over who gets what while both of them are armed is not worth it.

Glad it worked out. Many of these stories don't end well. Great buck!

As far as I'm concerned, all the rules change once an animal is wounded. Anyone who can legally shoot at the animal should be trying to finish the job ASAP. You did the right thing.

My favorite, is of a gal who shot her deer and tagged it, then went looking for hubby to help. She heard shooting after she'd left, and when they got back, her deer was gone. Turns out, it got up and took off, then was bagged by someone else. ''But...that's my tag!!" She ended up getting 'her' deer.

Been thru almost the same thing on a whitetail hunt years ago that I had nice one dead to rights with my muzzleloader a man below me stepped in front of me and shot the deer with a shotgun. I was fingering my set trigger already on 2 lb pull. Gurrrr

Nice buck Mike. Congrats!! Anyone else in the group tag out?
Just curious how many points did you burn in CO?