The elks - more than one.

Hugnot

I like to view things from my deck late PM before dark. I have been watching an elk herd of 20 for the last month. The latest viewing was a real show.

IMG_2045 copy.JPG

The red line is a barbed wire fence, 4 ft. The blue spots are medium size bull elk, The big blue spot is a huge bull elk with massive horns & body size. The green spots are herd members, cows, calves, teenagers, & baby elks. The green spots are minor herd members moving towards the fence, left to right. The 2 medium size bull elks blocked the minor herd members from approaching the fence. One medium size bull elk left side fence, menaced, charged, and blocked the minor herd, preventing them from getting near the fence. The medium size bull elk on the left side of the fence was seen to show a highly aggressive state, head lowered, mouth open, horns extended as he moved from place to place driving minor herd members away from the fence. The other medium size bull elk on the right or over the fence stood still, head down slightly & stared at the approaching minor herd members., None of the minor herd got closer than 50 feet from the fence. Further back, shown by the bigger blue spot, was the huge bull elk, commander of the herd. The boss was almost hidden behind pine tree branches. The subordinate medium size bull elks were tasked to prevent the herd from crossing the fence. If the herd were divided by the fence, vulnerable members like calves and others unable to jump the fence would be at risk. The herd could not move as a single unit and stragglers would be left behind.
Big bull showed much intelligence & command presence. In the human world he might be wearing a silver oak leaf, and should the herd be larger an eagle would be appropriate.

Watching stuff like this is fun.
IMG_2042.JPG

IMG_2039.JPG

The Vortex binocs are 15X56's & spotter is 20-60X85, both Viper. Range to elks just over 2000 yards.

I have another viewing /story about a white tail doe & one of the medium size bull elks, about 1 week before last event. I saw the white tail doe approach the bull elk, side to side, heads 1-2 feet apart. It looked like they were into some kind of conversation. The elk lowered his head & it looked like the deer was making some kind of sounds. Thru the 60X, I could see the does jaw move.

Watching elk from your house is just awesome! I occasionally see them on the hill across the highway from my house. And, like my dog with a ground squirrel, once I've seen them there once I then have to check every single day!

Recent Posts