The devil ram

almost......

Hey Goodgrouper.....I was thinking.....my wife almost hit with the car one (actually a group of 30 Bighorns crossing the road) here in Montana, near at Thompson Falls.

First day out, we spotted 15 sheep at Dangling Rope marina and only two of them were rams. But the biggest one was a shooter for sure. Only one problem, he was living on the lawn of the marina living quarters! And when approached by park rangers on 4 wheelers doing their duties, the sheep actually followed them asking for handouts!

So we hopped back in the boat and went into the marina to ask what the legal distance was that we had to be away from the marina to shoot. The park ranger told us that there weren't that many sheep around but if there were, we would have to be 1/2 mile away from any structure to shoot. And darned if for the next two days that ram never went more than 500 yards from the docks! We were starting to think we were cursed because we had only seen 25 sheep at this point in our entire hunt and we had passed on the only mature ram (about a 145") we had seen just weeks earlier only to go 9 days straight afterwords without seeing a single sheep. Now we have this bruiser on the lawn at the marina and he is the park service's **** pet!

Well, rather than go to jail, we decided to leave this herd and go look for another ram.

I have some more to add to this story which some might find interesting.
After we killed the devil ram and took him to the fish cops to be plugged, we learned while there that the other fellow who had a tag for our unit had just called the office asking where the sheep in this bloody area were. They had not seen anything at all the entire hunt and were getting desperate since it was then the second to the last day of the hunt. So the fishcops told us that they told the hunter to check out all the usual canyons on the lake. One of which I am sure was Dangling Rope Marina.

Well, I came to find out yesterday that the day the hunter called in asking for help, they got in a boat that afternoon and went out to the marina that evening and shot the ram on the lawn!!

We have yet to hear if there were legal actions or arrests made, but seeing as how they made it to the fishcop office to have the ram scored and plugged, they must have left the lake with the ram in their possession!

It ended up scoring 152 6/8" and was 6.5 years old. So my guess of 150-155" as I was watching it through my spotting scope was pretty accurate!

Funny thing is that this ram flat out looked bigger than Uncle B's from a distance but in reality was only 1 6/8" bigger. The difference is that B's ram had 15 1/8" bases so it makes the rest of the horn look like it tapers dramatically. But it has less than average taper when you measure it.

With the devil ram and the marina ram taken this year, I believe it is the first year ever that two 150+ rams were taken in this unit. Way to go guys!!

After finding out that the other hunter in this unit shot a bigger ram than mine, I was kinda down about it for five or six seconds until I realized that I could have shot his ram many times and passed. because I wanted a ram perfectly legal with no question, and a ram that was truly wild instead of absolutely domesticated. after looking back on it,I have zero regret and nothing but positive memories, I know it would not have turned out this way had I shot the other ram.
UB

Uncle B and/or Goodgrouper

I appreciate the advice you gave me on the Swaro 10X50 SLCs. They are great binoculars.

However, I could use a little instruction on how to actually glass for game at long range using both a spotting scope and binocular combination.

Here are some questions I have.

1. Do you start with the binoculars first or the spotting scope?

2. Do you have a search pattern that you use? For example do you start in the upper left of a hillside and work to the right and then adjust lower and work back to the left. Or do you start with the close in terrain first and then work outward.

3. The field of view is large on the stuff I use and I find it difficult to actually look at everything that is in the field of view before I move the spotting scope. Do you have a pattern that you run with your eye to ensure that you look at everything before moving the scope.

4. Do you look for color or movement or just look and hope something draws your attention.

5. How much overlap do you have between the last position the spotting scope was looking at and the new position.

6. Is there some secret method that I don't know about?

Len Backus has set up a new section called "How to Hunt big Game" and maybe you could just make a post there being as I suspect there are more than a few people who buy equipment and then really don't know how to make the best use of it.

Congrats on the sheep hunt. I spent 18 days scouting/hunting the South San Rafael. The first 14 days I only saw 6 ewes. So I was getting a little discouraged. But the last four days I saw 70 sheep and shot a 10 year old ram on November 1st. I passed on 5 other rams that day alone.

To respond to BB. I learned a lot about using glass while hunting for sheep. Hunting sheep is very different than hunting Elk or Deer. But the glassing skils one uses can be used for Elk/Deer.

With Sheep hunting, you need to sit down and stay in the same spot scanning the area for HOURS at a time. Sheep will bed down and are almost impossible to see. But once every two hours or so they will get up, turn around, move to another bed or start to feed. When they stand up they become visable. Usually because of the white rump or the movement. Where as Elk/Deer hunting I will spend 30 minutes glassing an area, if nothing is spotted I move along to another vantage point.

A couple of examples of this, On October 28th, we rode several ATV's into an area and started to scan the area for sheep. There where 3 of us and after about 10 minutes of glassing we spotted two ewes. One of which had just stood up and turned around bedded back down. Her movements are the only reason we spotted them. They were 400 yards away. We dilengently scanned them and the area around them looking for a ram. No ram, so we looked else where. Every so often I would look back and try and find those ewes. I knew where they were, but it was always a challenge to respot where they were laying. After about an hour we decided to move our ATVs to another vantage point. The new vantage point was only about 200 yards away from the ewes ( 1/2 the distance from were we first spotted them) Even after driving up to with in 200 yards of the ewes on ATV, Milling around setting up the spotting scopes, eating a sandwich and scanning the area, The ewes did not move and were very difficult to spot. Even on a open area. They really blend in and will stay bedded. Deer/Elk would be up and moving.

At another location we had been scanning the area for about an hour. Directly below us at the base of the cliff, a 5-6 year old ram got up and moved off. I took the picture with my camera ( he is at 436 yards) If it wasn't for his white butt you wouldn't even see him.
Sheep400yards.jpg

He stood and stared at us for about 15 minutes while we thought about shooting him or not. We set up two spotting scopes and really checked him out. But in the end I decided he was on the younger side of what I was looking for and I still had 10 days left in the hunt and was seeing lots of sheep by this time.

Sheep hunting involves spotting sheep at very long distances and stalking them after you spot them. Here is one of the vistas that we sat and scanned for many hours. We saw a lot of sheep off this vantage point. Many I have no idea of how to get to close enough to shoot or retrieve after shooting.
Chimney.jpg

We would glass the area close with Binos first. Then use the spotting scopes and set up a grid patter that we would work across. One of the advantages of the spotting scopes or Big Eye binos, is that you set them up on a tripod and scan. This holds the glass steady helps prevent eye strain. If you need to take your eyes away from the glass, you can return to where you were last looking. We were frequently looking at sheep 2-3-4 miles away. Using hand held binos at that distance is really hard on the eyes, because of the movement. You just can't hold them still enough.

After 14 days of not seeing sheep, my eyes finally started to see the shapes and colors of the sheep. I don't know how many I looked right past during the earlier days of my hunt. I'm sure many.

Congrats on the sheep hunt. I spent 18 days scouting/hunting the South San Rafael. The first 14 days I only saw 6 ewes. So I was getting a little discouraged. But the last four days I saw 70 sheep and shot a 10 year old ram on November 1st. I passed on 5 other rams that day alone.

To respond to BB. I learned a lot about using glass while hunting for sheep. Hunting sheep is very different than hunting Elk or Deer. But the glassing skils one uses can be used for Elk/Deer.

With Sheep hunting, you need to sit down and stay in the same spot scanning the area for HOURS at a time. Sheep will bed down and are almost impossible to see. But once every two hours or so they will get up, turn around, move to another bed or start to feed. When they stand up they become visable. Usually because of the white rump or the movement. Where as Elk/Deer hunting I will spend 30 minutes glassing an area, if nothing is spotted I move along to another vantage point.

A couple of examples of this, On October 28th, we rode several ATV's into an area and started to scan the area for sheep. There where 3 of us and after about 10 minutes of glassing we spotted two ewes. One of which had just stood up and turned around bedded back down. Her movements are the only reason we spotted them. They were 400 yards away. We dilengently scanned them and the area around them looking for a ram. No ram, so we looked else where. Every so often I would look back and try and find those ewes. I knew where they were, but it was always a challenge to respot where they were laying. After about an hour we decided to move our ATVs to another vantage point. The new vantage point was only about 200 yards away from the ewes ( 1/2 the distance from were we first spotted them) Even after driving up to with in 200 yards of the ewes on ATV, Milling around setting up the spotting scopes, eating a sandwich and scanning the area, The ewes did not move and were very difficult to spot. Even on a open area. They really blend in and will stay bedded. Deer/Elk would be up and moving.

At another location we had been scanning the area for about an hour. Directly below us at the base of the cliff, a 5-6 year old ram got up and moved off. I took the picture with my camera ( he is at 436 yards) If it wasn't for his white butt you wouldn't even see him.
Sheep400yards.jpg

He stood and stared at us for about 15 minutes while we thought about shooting him or not. We set up two spotting scopes and really checked him out. But in the end I decided he was on the younger side of what I was looking for and I still had 10 days left in the hunt and was seeing lots of sheep by this time.

Sheep hunting involves spotting sheep at very long distances and stalking them after you spot them. Here is one of the vistas that we sat and scanned for many hours. We saw a lot of sheep off this vantage point. Many I have no idea of how to get close enough to shoot or retrieve after shooting.
Chimney.jpg

We would glass the area close with Binos first. Then use the spotting scopes and set up a grid pattern that we would work across. One of the advantages of the spotting scopes or Big Eye binos, is that you set them up on a tripod and scan. This holds the glass steady and prevent eye strain. If you need to take your eyes away from the glass, you can return to where you were last looking. We were frequently looking at sheep 2-3-4 miles away. Using hand held binos at that distance is really hard on the eyes, because of the movement. You just can't hold them still enough. You will spend moer time looking away from the glass to rest your eyes, than looking through the binos.

After 14 days of not seeing sheep, my eyes finally started to see the shapes and colors of the sheep. I don't know how many I looked right past during the earlier days of my hunt. I'm sure many.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts