The black grey squirrel

I moved to Vicksburg Ms. back around 1984. There was a game area, known as Shipland, about 40 miles north of there on the Mississippi. My first hunting trip up there, scouting for deer, I saw a jet-black squirrel. I was carrying a Remington Nylon 66. I just had to have that squirrel. I chased and shot that bugger until I had emptied the tube mag (14 rounds of 22lr I think). I was standing under a tall pin oak thinking I'd lost him and he fell and hit me in the back. Not much left of the perforated squirrel, but, I took him back home and preserved the skin. The next time I went up there actually squirrel hunting half the squirrels I shot were jet-black. I found out that was just another squirrel around there.

Are red squirrels protected in FL also?
We don't have red squirrels here like Midwest do.

Fox squirrels Protected
Grey squirrels. Have a season
Flying squirrels. Protected
Occasionally a chipmunk. Protected

Any thing south of Gainesville all bets are off. So many animals have been imported and turned loose. South Florida has breeding populations of all kinds of exotic animals pythons, lizards, parrots etc

Thanks

Buck

There's a ton of squirrels in The Villages, which is south of Gainesville, FL. The retirement community...

The squirrels look just like Michigan and Alaska Red squirrels, except ~30% larger.

Growing up in SE MI, I deer hunted on a farm that had fox squirrels the size of cats. They used to come in the blind and sit by the heater to warm up a bit. Took a buddy hunting there once and forgot to tell him about the squirrels. One came bouncing through the window and it was game on. Hand to hand squirrel combat.
I love it , more squirrels the size of cats.

I moved to Vicksburg Ms. back around 1984. There was a game area, known as Shipland, about 40 miles north of there on the Mississippi. My first hunting trip up there, scouting for deer, I saw a jet-black squirrel. I was carrying a Remington Nylon 66. I just had to have that squirrel. I chased and shot that bugger until I had emptied the tube mag (14 rounds of 22lr I think). I was standing under a tall pin oak thinking I'd lost him and he fell and hit me in the back. Not much left of the perforated squirrel, but, I took him back home and preserved the skin. The next time I went up there actually squirrel hunting half the squirrels I shot were jet-black. I found out that was just another squirrel around there.
😆 That's a great story . Thanks !

Mepps Spinners used to buy red squirrel tails. Shot lots with the Daisy when we were kids.
Yeah I remember the magazine add for tails ,when's I was was 10 or 11, thought I was a real Dannie Boone and was going to supply Mepps with more squirrel tails than they could use.
Instead I had the skins tacked all over my bedroom walls!, never sent one tail in !