The .300 Ultra, a new gun,&questions

D

daveosok

Try the search option in the upper right hand corner on this site. Enter 300 Ultra and youll get a lot of load data as well as a few wildcat versions.

[ 07-02-2002: Message edited by: daveosok ]

I have a 308 Baer with a 1/12" twist and it does not do as well with 200gn bullets as it does with 180gn to 190gn bullets. For powder I would try Hodgdon Retumbo as it was designed with the big 30's, especially the Ultras in mind.

Fergus

OK here goes I am having my gun built mostly for groundhogs and deer out to 1200 maybe a bit further with a bbl that is going to finish @ 32 1.250the whole way on a Rem action.....the barrel will be in a 9" bedding block....now its a 1-12 twist so I THINK 200grnr's should stabilize...had a .300 weath that was 1-12 and shot the 190 MK's at 3150 and they worked fine. Now with this Ultra what powder? 5010? maybe too slow with a 200grnr WC872? H-870? H-1000?
Any ideas as to velocity with a 190 or 200?
also on this rig goes a Unertl 2" ultra varmint, Posa mounts....any one know the ring spacing for the click values to be 1/2 min? thats 1/2 moa not 1/2 inch.... Any help would be greatly appreciated.......Oh by the way the barrel is a Montana Rifleman stainless......Any body ever use one??? from what what I heard quality....about that of a Douglas which is fine by me...any body heard different?...Thanks in advance for any input
confused.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.