300 Ultra Mag Questions

Charter

Hello,

I just bought a 300 RUM Sendero as a small caliber deer rifle. I am impressed so far. The trigger was right around 7 pounds so I lightened it to 3.5. I would like to know what everyone out there is using for reloading information. Also, I am curious as to opinions on heavy vs lighter bullets.

Initially, I am thinking about using the 180 gr A-max or the matchking. Some people really don't like match bullets for hunting and other say they work. I have never done it, but I think that it should be similar to the polymer tip bullet performance.

I would really appreciate any help/information.

Thanks.

Than

David,been there and done....RL25 is the powder for the 220's
grin.gif

Charter, welcome to the site.

I am using a 178 A-Max at 95-96gr RL25 and getting over 3260 average at 61 -65k psi at 3.655" OAL in my gun. This bullet is real accrate and has created less psi on the Oehler 43 at the same velocity than all the others too, the same was found in my dads 300wsm also.

The 220gr SMK is over a max load of 85-86gr of RL25 at just over 2900 fps and 65k psi at 3.710" OAL, which were single fed only.

The loads used a 210m primer and a 26" barrel.

The load data for the 220 was attained from a Sierra tech.

I cannot remember where I got the starting load for the 180's, I believe it was a consenses of several sources though.

The 180 shoots flatter at 500 yards by 2 moa, at 700 by 3 moa and at 1000 by 4 moa, but the 220 has an advantage in energy through the whole range which actually gets a little better along the way because it's velocity decays at a slower rate.

The impact velocity is slower at longer range and pass through shots are more common because of less expansion, a more conventional bullet will hold up better than one would think, and premiums for this reason, in my opinion are rarely needed and work more like solids.
wink.gif

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to answer my rookie questions. I am going to give the 178 gr A-max and the 220 Matchkings a try and see which my gun likes best.

I will let you know what I find out.

Than
cool.gif

Boyd.....good deal..I think I have about 800 or so of them laying around so that should last me for a little while. I just wish this cold weather would break !!

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.