The .257 -WHICH CARTRIDGE???

257 stw 110 accubonds @ 3700 fps, 100 gr bonded wildcat bullet @ 3980 fps, and 125 wildcat @ 3550 fps. Ramshot magnum in lighter bullets and retumbo for the heavier bullets.

Just crunched some numbers in Quickload, looks like the 25 stw will push 115 nosler BTs at 4000 fps from 28 inch barrel with RL33.

Looks like I'm gonna have to try it out, outta puff up coyotes really good from any angle, can't kill anything too quick.

Not concerned about barrel life or anything related, just need to find a reamer now.
Talk to @purpledragon he's got one.😉

Something to think about, because I sure have been/
There are so many cartridges & calibers out on the market today. Every year Manufactures have to come out with something NEW. A new GIMIC to sell firearms. Can't just hunt and harvest an animal with an older cartridge. Then when that "NEW" Cartridge comes out there is a shortage of components. Manufactures not only sell a new Cartridge, but new Rifles, new Brass, new dies, new reamers, new bullets and the list goes on. PROFITS and "WE" the consumer (hunters/shooters) have to have the Latest/BEST NEW everything. Then after the manufacture comes out with something new..... other Gunsmiths/inventors try to improve on already new improved cartridge.
For example, look at the PRC that came out a few short years ago. Now there are PRC Improved or someone's business name with a new Reamer and dies that can only be gotten through them.

PERSONNALY, I think that it is GREAT for shooters/businesses trying to constantly improve on all our reloading/shooting/hunting equipment. If it wasn't for the few trying to make improvements, we would not have all the latest greatest equipment that helps us improve in accuracy.
AND YES do not forget about the PEOPLE that develop shooting training for improvement on shooting skills!

Getting back to building a 25 caliber hunting rifle that 99% of hunters would love to carry and use to harvest an animal in one of their dream hunts of a lifetime or use it because they love to shoot it.
This rifle has to have components that are current today and will be for a long time. (can find brass/dies)

We built a .260 rem about 7 years ago and it shoots lights out with 123 SMK, 130 SMK & TMK 140 SGK &B 142 SMK. Best rifle I ever had or built 1/4" MOA all the way to 1K. I really like the .308 case. Have .243, 7mm08, 260 & 308. Think it is time for a 25-08.

Now the 6.5 Creed and other Creedmoor's took over in rifle retail sales due to barrel twist and different cartridges that Remington & other Ammo manufactures not having the people in positions that had the knowledge of what the shooters needed.
I had to through that in there because we are big supporters of the .260 and the Parrent case .308. Some Creeds were copied off of them.

We also have 6.5X284 built for "F" class. Tons of components also. Why not a 25X284 only need reamers for both (25-08 & 25X284).
Now we have the comp dies with bushings and a ton of Lapua Brass along with H-4350 and half a dozen of other powders for both the .260 and 6.5X284-very easy along not costing $$$ due to having components to build 25-08 and 25X284.

Darn a 25 cal with 133gr should work just fine. Something between the 6mmBR, .243 Win & .260 Rem/6.5X284

Need some heavy barrels in 1:7 twist and then maybe a nice double spiral flute for weight reduction. Since two cartridges in play maybe a Manners MCS-LRH or MCS-PRS-TCS or a light Hunter Stock and several MPA Chassis I like. Either way a light Hunter in SA 25-08 for all day carry in Mountains that can reach out or a 25X284 for some really ELR hunting.
$$$$$ involved. Need to finish up some rifle sales and wait for our attorneys to file the Trust Fund for the $1.5 Billion Lottery that we won. Going to try living the same way we have been and not let money distract on being happy.

Something to think about, because I sure have been/
There are so many cartridges & calibers out on the market today. Every year Manufactures have to come out with something NEW. A new GIMIC to sell firearms. Can't just hunt and harvest an animal with an older cartridge. Then when that "NEW" Cartridge comes out there is a shortage of components. Manufactures not only sell a new Cartridge, but new Rifles, new Brass, new dies, new reamers, new bullets and the list goes on. PROFITS and "WE" the consumer (hunters/shooters) have to have the Latest/BEST NEW everything. Then after the manufacture comes out with something new..... other Gunsmiths/inventors try to improve on already new improved cartridge.
For example, look at the PRC that came out a few short years ago. Now there are PRC Improved or someone's business name with a new Reamer and dies that can only be gotten through them.

PERSONNALY, I think that it is GREAT for shooters/businesses trying to constantly improve on all our reloading/shooting/hunting equipment. If it wasn't for the few trying to make improvements, we would not have all the latest greatest equipment that helps us improve in accuracy.
AND YES do not forget about the PEOPLE that develop shooting training for improvement on shooting skills!

Getting back to building a 25 caliber hunting rifle that 99% of hunters would love to carry and use to harvest an animal in one of their dream hunts of a lifetime or use it because they love to shoot it.
This rifle has to have components that are current today and will be for a long time. (can find brass/dies)

We built a .260 rem about 7 years ago and it shoots lights out with 123 SMK, 130 SMK & TMK 140 SGK &B 142 SMK. Best rifle I ever had or built 1/4" MOA all the way to 1K. I really like the .308 case. Have .243, 7mm08, 260 & 308. Think it is time for a 25-08.

Now the 6.5 Creed and other Creedmoor's took over in rifle retail sales due to barrel twist and different cartridges that Remington & other Ammo manufactures not having the people in positions that had the knowledge of what the shooters needed.
I had to through that in there because we are big supporters of the .260 and the Parrent case .308. Some Creeds were copied off of them.

We also have 6.5X284 built for "F" class. Tons of components also. Why not a 25X284 only need reamers for both (25-08 & 25X284).
Now we have the comp dies with bushings and a ton of Lapua Brass along with H-4350 and half a dozen of other powders for both the .260 and 6.5X284-very easy along not costing $$$ due to having components to build 25-08 and 25X284.

Darn a 25 cal with 133gr should work just fine. Something between the 6mmBR, .243 Win & .260 Rem/6.5X284

Need some heavy barrels in 1:7 twist and then maybe a nice double spiral flute for weight reduction. Since two cartridges in play maybe a Manners MCS-LRH or MCS-PRS-TCS or a light Hunter Stock and several MPA Chassis I like. Either way a light Hunter in SA 25-08 for all day carry in Mountains that can reach out or a 25X284 for some really ELR hunting.
$$$$$ involved. Need to finish up some rifle sales and wait for our attorneys to file the Trust Fund for the $1.5 Billion Lottery that we won. Going to try living the same way we have been and not let money distract on being happy.
I always wondered what a 25-08 would be like?

With a 26in barrel: Necking up small primer lapua 6cm brass. Hornady and Norma brass gave similar speeds and Peterson pressured sooner. With h4350 my load was about 2830fps. Somewhere near 40.5 grains. Nice stable load there. Just worked up loads with same components but with n555 because it is a tad slower burning and I had some extra case capacity. That load is going 2940fps. If you had RL26 that supposedly gives the best speed but my summer time shooting temps are regularly 95+F so I am relegated to temp stable powders.
I have RL-26 & H1000, butt wanted to save them for a 65 PRC. I'm loaded with Varget & h4350. I built thinking h4350 would be the best. Still have hope as another that has more rds on his is getting the kind of velocity I hope to see. i only have a few rds on my barrels. I had to stop to neck turn the Peterson & then completed a 22 GT. That has taken my time as it might be the most fun cartridge I've ever shot.
im going to keep shooting & see what happens after the barrel has some more rds on it. Thanks!

I already have competition bushing dies for 6.5X284 and a lot of Lapua brass so would only need a Custom Reamer and already have .257 Throater so can go longer than a SAMMI Reamer for 25X284. Probably go LA (worry about cartridge length in Mag).
There are so many other cartridges/calibers out there. We have everything from .204 to .338. Want to make one for us and then more for Hunters looking for this caliber. This 25 with a 133 gr would be great for Mule, White Tail, Prong Horn at LR. Rethinking about a Mountain Rifle for size & weight. This would be built for more Western open areas.
LA with a heavier 24"-26" barrel 1:7 that is Spiral Fluted and a good Brake. Manners Adjustable Stock, ARC rail to use with a Tripod (standing/sitting) or Bipod for Prone. Weight not that much a problem since we have Gun Bearers, but would want to keep the weight down for Sale to a serious hunter.
Then this screams to be a 257 Wby for me. That's the easy button and absolutely no wildcatting required.

I'd have to give my vote to the 25stw.........absolutely love mine. Built it on the Savage 110, Shilen 28" varmint .700@muzzle 10 twist. Will sling the 90gr Absolute Hammers at 4330 top load. Backed her down just a tad to low 42's for a touch tighter groups.......
I wonder what the barrel life would be in a 7-8tw 25stw with the 133gr freedom seeds Len is building this rifle around?

Len I think you are on the right track with the 25-08. I think an 06' based case would be better but if you already have all the 260rem stuff around then a 25souper/ 25-08 makes more sense.

For the near future my wildcat cartridge considerations will be "NATO" based or creedmoor/PRC based. For the sole reason of finding components. I'd love to do a 25wsm on a long action but WSM brass is very hard to find.

Here's another one, 135gr Berger going 2940 from 25 creedmoor at 535 yards. He was feeding between open patches in timber at sunset and I wanted to anchor him so I put it through high shoulder and dumped him on the spot. I watched the impact easily through my scope (no muzzle break needed). Great terminal performance no exit, bang flop drama free. Love my 25 creed!

C7451609-00FA-4E89-83A7-7A590E72481B.jpeg

Here's another one, 135gr Berger going 2940 from 25 creedmoor at 535 yards. He was feeding between open patches in timber at sunset and I wanted to anchor him so I put it through high shoulder and dumped him on the spot. I watched the impact easily through my scope (no muzzle break needed). Great terminal performance no exit, bang flop drama free. Love my 25 creed!

View attachment 407329
Congratulations on an awesome buck!!!

I was surprised m km. Be
r.

View attachment 407329
Wow that is a nice Muley and great shot , you can't ask for anything better than that .

Well I just went to the mailbox and had a package of 700+ .257 Berger ELITE HUNTER 133gr Bullets that RidgeRebel sold us.
What a SEXY BULLET!!!
Now we have to start putting together components to build a 25 Something???
Need to be careful and do my homework. Want to build the RIFLE to complement the bullet and something that every hunter would want!
I want a 25SST, preferably Bart 3b or any CFW barrel at 22-24". Bat Bumblebee is on my list for my next build. If you check those boxes I'll buy it when you get bored…..