temperature effect on velocity

trb0

I'm looking at getting a turret from Kenton Ind. for my 30'06 and my gun is shooting great with a 150 gr. Hornady but it is only shooting 2800 f.p.s. at 90 degree's F. Doe's anyone have an educated guess at how much velocity I will lose when the temp drops to the mid 30's.I want to be able to adjust my load by powder charge but can only get about another 100 f.p.s. due to case capacity.If you need more info just let me know.

You may want to check out the JBM calc page to extrapolate on the effect of temp on you tradjectory. As far as the initial velocity goes, it depends on which powder you are using. JBM - Calculations - Trajectory
I did a quick check changing from 80 to 30 degrees and everything else the same, there is significant difference in tradjectory past 500 yards.

Bag the Kenton idea. Even if you do forecast how much velocity you'll lose from temperature, you still have a myriad of other things that change trajectories and the BDC turrets can and never will keep up with them all.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.