Temperature affect on muzzle velocity (IMR4831)

TX mountain hunter

I'm currently seeing 3460 fps with my 6.5-280AI & 110 grain bullet, at 65*F. I plan on going on a hunt in a couple weeks where the temperature is going to be in the 10-20*F range. I have no way to test my rifle / load in these conditions. Since IMR 4831 is supposedly not temperature stable, what kind of muzzle velocity drop should I expect to see? I would prefer to be able to keep the gun loaded at all times for the possibility of a quick shot (ruling out the load in the pocket idea).
Thanks.

4831 is very stable. I shoot often in 100 plus degree tempratures and notice about 60 fps difference in 40 degree temps. I have been using 10 fps for every 10 degrees in my balistics programs which is working well. This is not science just a rule of thumb I have used over the years. I will say there is more of a drop at the extremes from say 110 degrees to 80 degrees. At those low temps you are going to have to experiment a bit. Best of luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.