Temp sensitivity in RE10x

Its204fast

When I first started loading I started with .204 Ruger, 32gn Sierra Blitz King. always used BR4 primers, and a charge in the area of 26gn of Alliant Re10x.

It was a great load (5 shots under 0.5" at 200 yds. on sandbags.) It brought my confidence up tremendously. I started shooting around the end of fall temps in the 60° range through the winter temps down as low as the mid 30°'s. I joined my first shooting range and the guys were really impressed by a newcomer.
Then it started to warm up as spring approached and my groups started to spread, I went back to the 100yd range and it was grouping the size of a solo cup. I was about to pull my hair out, I had another guy shoot it and same result. He told me that Alliant powders are temp sensitive and it was due to the heat. so I switched to Benchmark and it does good but I have never been able to achieve the same group as before with it no matter how I adjust the charge, seating depth, case length. I'm now shooting a 0.8-1.0" group at 200yds but it doesn't matter if it's 25° or 105°

any suggestions on achieving a better group with Benchmark?

Some of their powders are temp sensitive and some are not. Since you tried to adjust the charge weight and COL and going back to cold temps, I have to ask how many rounds thru it since the last cleaning? Large powder charge, small bore and high speed gets em dirty quick. Check it with a bore scope if you can. It might be enlightening. Years ago, the 220 Swift had a reputation as a barrel burner but often it was just a badly fouled bore. Once cleaned the accuracy came back. Hope this helps

Some of their powders are temp sensitive and some are not. Since you tried to adjust the charge weight and COL and going back to cold temps, I have to ask how many rounds thru it since the last cleaning? Large powder charge, small bore and high speed gets em dirty quick. Check it with a bore scope if you can. It might be enlightening. Years ago, the 220 Swift had a reputation as a barrel burner but often it was just a badly fouled bore. Once cleaned the accuracy came back. Hope this helps
It's been a few years since I moved away from RE10x but I rarely went over 20 rounds without cleaning. I'm not so particular now. I know with the benchmark its going to shoot the same dirty or clean. gun has somewhere around 1200 rounds through it.

You might try dropping the RL10 charge back 1.5 grains and working the load back up.

A note on cleaning mentioned above. Some powders don't play well when they are shot without cleaning the rifle in between.
I also have a decent load worked up with 26gn varmint grenades over Ramshot Xterminator that groups about the same.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.