Temp sensativity of Ramshot Magnum

6hangingc

I will be starting load developement for my 338 Norma Mag in a week or so, and will be trying Ramshot Magnum. I can't seem to find any info on how temp sensative it is. The Ramshot is suppose to have some of the best velocities w/ accuracy for the 338NM, but since here in Mont. tempratures can vary from +90 in atelope season to -20 in elk season, I am a little concerned in how this powder will handle the variations.

Since the Ramshot website doesn't seem to offer any info on this, does anyone out there have any experience with this powder that can help me out here.

I tried ramshot magnum powder in my 300RUM and the pressure was way too high for me, got rid of the stuff and went back to retumbo

I'm using Ramshot Magnum in my 300win mag and 6-284 and it has proven to be very stable and accurate.
I live in Fl so the temp swings are not nearly as great.

I'm using Ramshot Magnum in my 300win mag and 6-284 and it has proven to be very stable and accurate.
I live in Fl so the temp swings are not nearly as great.

RockZ,
Thanks for the info. From what I understand, it's the higher tempratures that cause the most problems with velocities, not the low ones. And being from FL I'm sure you have shot in plenty of warm temps, so Im sure you would have you would have experienced some velocity spikes if it was sensative to the heat.

Since my first post I ran across another post here that had a link to a balistics lab report from some people at Barnes bullets . They had done a little testing of several different powders and primers for velocities at different temprature extremes. Ramshot magnum and H1000 were a couple of the powders they tried in the magnum caliber. It showed that the Ramshot was comprable to H1000 and they were the best two they tested. The other two tested with the 300WM were IMR4831 and RL22, both showing signicant velocity spikes with the high temps.
Not sure how extensive their testing was, and it was with only 4 powders with the 300WM only. But it does appear that the Ramshot should be , as you also said, quite stable.

Zapper
Thats the link I was talking about earlier. I beleive it was you who I got it from in an earlier discussion on the difference between IMR 4350 and H4350.
Thanks , it was an interesting read. And I also enjoyed seeing the picture of the Mule Deer that Randy Brooks shot. A real hog.

I am having no problems with the higher temps.
It 's 95+ and i'm getting 3400 fps with the 6-284 with the 107 smk's with no excess pressure signs.
So at the high temps it is very good.
with the 3oo win and 208 amax i'm getting the same pointof impact with 77.5-79.5 gr. at 500 meters
so i settled on78 .5gr.

Last edited:
I too have a 338 norma mag. (1 in 10 twist, 28" bartlien barrel, 700 action,nightforce 5.5-22) I have just started the break in process of the barrel. I only have about 30 rounds through it and the only powder I have been using is Ramshot Magnum. I have shot loads from 90-93gr with two different primers. The first time I shot the rifle it was 75 degrees, and I shot it this weekend and it was 89 degrees. I have not seen any measurable differences. I know this is not enough variation to really see a difference but I thought I would throw it out there. I actually have seen a bigger difference with the primer I am using in the heat than the powder. The Federal 215's seem to be more temp sensitive than the Winchester primers.

All most all my loads so far are right under 1 inch. I loaded up 3 each from 90-93 gr, 300 gr mk, with federal and win. primers. I started out .035" off the lands the first batch, and .010" off the lands for the second batch. I am going to try .015" off the lands next. I just Dura-coated my rifle this weekend as well so now I can bed it. I think that and finding the happy spot for seating my bullets will pull the groups in tight. Anyways I plan on doing a complete posting of my findings after I find a good load for it.

Might PM Fiftydriver. I know he worked with it a bit somewhat recently and ended up going back to Retumbo for the specific chambering he was dealing with--I think it was his 338 Allen Xpress, a 338 Lapua Magnum Improved.

Thanks everyone for all the info. Very helpful.

Not sure I will give Kirby a shout right now tho. I am sure he is knee deep in building rifles and trying to get as many as possible out for this hunting season.

I am looking Ramshot LRT powder. I read what has been stated above. I don't see anything in colder temps. My hunting temp ranges from -20 to 110 degrees during the years. Anybody done any testing on Ramshot LRT in colder temp and with hot temps?