TC triumph new need some guidance.

Ok. Got the things you recommended. Gonna start with 100 cc's, ml, not sure of the volumetric units, of BH209 and go up to 110 at a max. I believe you said 109 is your magic number right encore? I have 3 sabots. 250 sst, 250 Barnes and 290 Barnes. I believe. And the 209 primers. Going to start here on Monday and see what happens. I guess clean every 10 shots? Also, should I fire the fowlers first and gen keep track?
Think I'll shoot 10 of each to see how it goes at 100 volumetric units and ten bases on that, increase. Sound like a plan??
Thanks

Mario

Volume is in grains. It is a MEASURED volume not a weighed amount. So what you will be doing is using what's called "grains volume. Its the standard method for black powder propellants. Some very experienced shooters, that use an exact conversion number provided by the propellant manufacturer will load by weight, using loading scales. I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT FOR SOMEONE STARTING OUT. Stay with your volume measure.

I hope you bought at least regular shotgun primers, such as a WIN 209 or, CCI209M or Federal 209A and NOT designated muzzleloader primers, which do not have enough heat or pressure to ignite BH209.

Starting at 100grs on your volume measure is a great start and you have the right idea about working it up to 110grs volume. Now you may end up very lucky and have a barrel that doesn't need fouling shots, that it trial and error. ONLY your rifle will provide you that information.

I'm going to say this and it may sound like I'm nuts but......... NEVER, NEVER HAVE A LIVE PRIMER IN THE RIFLE WHILE LOADING. I'm sure you're aware of that but, I had to put it out.

When you go to shoot, don't worry about cleaning the rifle until you're completely done shooting for the day. Now if you shoot quit a few rounds, make sure you have a 1/8" drill bit with you. Turn it BY HAND.... into the flash channel under the primer until you feel it bottom out. What you're doing is cleaning the carbon build up from the flash channel. It will chip out. ONLY turn it by hand. Do that around every 10th shot and you'll be fine.

Regardless of the other propellants that can be used, BH209 has one other requirement and is recommended by Western. When seating the bullet on the propellant, seat it HARD.

Depending on the tightness of the barrel, some bullets may require a lot of force to get down the barrel. With Barnes bullets, the T-EZ bullets load easier if you end up having a problem.

Without going back to look, I'll make the assumption that you have a scope. Zero it at 25yds and if its an inch high that's ok. You should be on paper at 100yds to set your zero. Stick with just one bullet while doing so. Once you get it hitting correctly at 100yds, then you can try the other bullets. Know this though, the 290gr bullets being heavier will shoot lower.

Most of all......... be safe.

Great!!! Thank you so much for your help and advice. I won't be going till Monday to shoot. Have baptisms of my kids and a bunch if friends and family coming into town. I put a scope on and I was going to do exactly as you said. Zero at 25 and then back to 100 and I should be in paper to get my true zero. Yes I will not shoot one sabot until I am on at 100. I will bring a 1/8 inch but to hand drill the flash hole and I did get shot shell primers. I looked for CCI and there were none!!!
Anyway, I will have some pics for you Monday.

Thanks again!!!
Mario

I already shared this with ENCORE but I figured I should post the work up so others can see it

First one is hornady 250 gr. With 105 gr of BH 209 at 35 yards
Second is 250gr Barnes.

I know 35 doesn't mean anything. But I was happy to see that my attempt at bore sighting worked and that they were all together.
100 yard next.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 119
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.