TC triumph new need some guidance.

marioq

Hey guys. Never shot a smoke pole before but I have a tag for New Mexico elk and it's in muzzy season so I went and bought a triumph. New and I'm not sure what I need to do.

Is there a barrel break in? I've heard about seasoning your barrel but also heard the new barrels are pretty solid and not like old iron ones.

What have others used in this gun that work?

Anything AT all will help.
Thanks and I appreciate it!!!!

Mario

Hey guys. Never shot a smoke pole before but I have a tag for New Mexico elk and it's in muzzy season so I went and bought a triumph. New and I'm not sure what I need to do.

Is there a barrel break in? I've heard about seasoning your barrel but also heard the new barrels are pretty solid and not like old iron ones.

What have others used in this gun that work?

Anything AT all will help.
Thanks and I appreciate it!!!!

Mario

Not sure rather you can use sabots in NM but, this will give you EVERYTHING you want.

CCI209M......... or.......... Federal209A .... primers
Blackhorn 209 propellant........ 110grs VOLUME Blackhorn 209
Barnes 290gr T-EZ bullets

There's no need what so ever to "season" the barrel of your new rifle. It will handle Blackhorn 209 (BH209) without any modifications.

IF............ sabots are not allowed, use Thor bullets. Just my 2¢ from a long time T/C owner.

That's the exact thing I was looking for!!!!!!
I can use sabots. So I will go to bass pro and buy your recs as soon as I get back from Chicago. Cleaning??? Every shot?? Just every few??

That's the exact thing I was looking for!!!!!!
I can use sabots. So I will go to bass pro and buy your recs as soon as I get back from Chicago. Cleaning??? Every shot?? Just every few??

With BH209, you don't need to clean between shots. That's the nice thing about it in production rifles. In many cases, the rifle may not shoot to the same point of impact clean as when fouled. My Pro Hunter is one of those that NO MATTER what you do, the first two shots will not hit the zero POI. Just the nature of some of them. (photo attached)

What you WILL NEED, is a 1/8" drill bit. The drill bit is used to clean the carbon from the primers in the flash channel of the breech plug. IT IS ONLY TURNED BY HAND. After a session of shooting and when cleaning the rifle, turn the drill bit BY HAND into the flash channel (under the primer). Turn it until you're sure you've bottomed out. You won't hurt the breech plug.

Here's how my Pro Hunter reacts when shooting a clean rifle the first two shots. The rest fall right into place.

Good luck with your new rifle! Please post some of your targets.

Wow!!!!! That is awesome!!!! Way better than I ever thought possible!!!
Great I will post when I start shooting.
Gimmie a couple weeks. Got a vacation planned so looking into August sometime.
Again, THANK YOU FOR THE HELP!!!

That 209 powder, is it the pellets or is if actually loose powder and you have measures the charge? It comes today so I will be making a run to bass pro and anywhere else I need to in order to buy the supplies

Thanks

Mario

That 209 powder, is it the pellets or is if actually loose powder and you have measures the charge? It comes today so I will be making a run to bass pro and anywhere else I need to in order to buy the supplies

Thanks

Mario

Blackhorn 209 (BH209) is loose propellant. It has a MAXIMUM of 120 volume, NOT..150grs charges. You'll need a volume measure, which IMO the most accurate is the T/C plastic, adjustable see thru mode.

Most find that between 100 and 110grs volume shoots the best, with most who I know using 110grs volume. Although a standard WIN 209 primer will work good, most prefer to shoot the CCI209M or Federal 209A primers. The magnum primers work better in bitter cold. You'll need a 1/8" drill bit. You use the drill bit to clean out the flash channel......... BY HAND........ turning the drill into the flash channel and chip out the carbon. Keeps the flash channel clean.

I bought Remington 209 primers. Hornady 250 grain sabots. I was thinking about 777 or white hots, what do you think? One bottle of 209 powder. How do I measure the volume? Can I measure weights with a scale? Also, the pellets, should I try those and if so what ones? Or can I mix 100 gr of pellet and 10gr of powder??
Just curious. Basspro is not very complete.

I bought Remington 209 primers. Hornady 250 grain sabots. I was thinking about 777 or white hots, what do you think? One bottle of 209 powder. How do I measure the volume? Can I measure weights with a scale? Also, the pellets, should I try those and if so what ones? Or can I mix 100 gr of pellet and 10gr of powder??
Just curious. Basspro is not very complete.

DO NOT mix propellants..... It could cause dangerous pressure spikes!

Starting out, ALWAYS, ALWAYS measure loose powder by VOLUME. Until you become very versed in loading procedures and WITHOUT FAIL use the proper conversion numbers provided by the propellant manufacturers, measure by volume. DO NOT exceed the manufactures recommendations for your rifle.

You need a volume measure like this: Thompson Center U-View Black Powder Measure 15 to 125 Grains 5 Grain

As for "what I think" about propellants, I would certainly go with BH209 above all else. Its just that good. Unless restricted by law, you can't obtain it or, you're shooting a rifle not capable of shooting BH209, its the only propellant I'd shoot from a production muzzleloader. And no........ I don't own stock in it, I feel its just that good and so do many other shooters.

My second choice, would be Triple Seven loose. As far as the White Hots, I've never shot it but, know a couple shooters who have. They switched back to BH209.

My last choice in a production rifle, would be pellets, then it would be T7 pellets.

Primers............. If you shoot BH209, at minimum a WIN209 and preferably a CCI209M of Federal 209A. If you shoot loose T7, then the primers you mentioned above should work fine. If you shoot pellets, then use DESIGNATED muzzleloader primers.

Bullets............. The 250gr SST is used by a number of shooters with great accuracy and good success on game. My personal choice is not an SST, but rather a Barnes 250gr TMZ. There are excellent bullets, good bullets and one being the poorest bullet. The Hornady XTP is a great short to medium range bullet, with some having excellent results to 150yds.

My opinions only. Hope it helps.

DO NOT mix propellants..... It could cause dangerous pressure spikes!

Starting out, ALWAYS, ALWAYS measure loose powder by VOLUME. Until you become very versed in loading procedures and WITHOUT FAIL use the proper conversion numbers provided by the propellant manufacturers, measure by volume. DO NOT exceed the manufactures recommendations for your rifle.

You need a volume measure like this: Thompson Center U-View Black Powder Measure 15 to 125 Grains 5 Grain

As for "what I think" about propellants, I would certainly go with BH209 above all else. Its just that good. Unless restricted by law, you can't obtain it or, you're shooting a rifle not capable of shooting BH209, its the only propellant I'd shoot from a production muzzleloader. And no........ I don't own stock in it, I feel its just that good and so do many other shooters.

My second choice, would be Triple Seven loose. As far as the White Hots, I've never shot it but, know a couple shooters who have. They switched back to BH209.

My last choice in a production rifle, would be pellets, then it would be T7 pellets.

Primers............. If you shoot BH209, at minimum a WIN209 and preferably a CCI209M of Federal 209A. If you shoot loose T7, then the primers you mentioned above should work fine. If you shoot pellets, then use DESIGNATED muzzleloader primers.

Bullets............. The 250gr SST is used by a number of shooters with great accuracy and good success on game. My personal choice is not an SST, but rather a Barnes 250gr TMZ. There are excellent bullets, good bullets and one being the poorest bullet. The Hornady XTP is a great short to medium range bullet, with some having excellent results to 150yds.

I bought the SST-MI today. THey did not have any barnes and only TC and Accurate. So this was all I had that even fit close to your recs.

Primers, No Fed or CCI in 209. Got the remington STS primers.

I am going to take a trip to SPortsmans tomorrow I hope and try to see what they have… At Least I have the 209 powder… Now I will look into the volume measuring thing you said and get that…

ANyway, Thanks for the help…. and your opinion matters!!!!! You are seasoned and know how these things work!!!

Thannsk

Mario

My opinions only. Hope it helps.

Thanks a bunch

bought the SST-MI today. THey did not have any barnes and only TC and Accurate. So this was all I had that even fit close to your recs.

Primers, No Fed or CCI in 209. Got the remington STS primers.

I am going to take a trip to SPortsmans tomorrow I hope and try to see what they have… At Least I have the 209 powder… Now I will look into the volume measuring thing you said and get that…

ANyway, Thanks for the help…. and your opinion matters!!!!! You are seasoned and know how these things work!!!

Thannsk

Mario

Is there a way to get the "T" handle ram rod??? I have the triumph with out the T… does that matter??

I bought a started rod thing today to help get the bullet in… ANything else you can think of??

Thanks

Is there a way to get the "T" handle ram rod??? I have the triumph with out the T… does that matter??

I bought a started rod thing today to help get the bullet in… ANything else you can think of??

Thanks

If you lived close, you could have the "T" handle that came with a Pro Hunter I have. I don't like it, won't use it and could care less about them. I want to screw a bullet loading jag directly into the end of my ramrod. The "T" handle ramrod makes that impossible.

I've used this for years and still do. The plastic ones from T/C work, but as much as I shoot I break them.

https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/product/hunter-bullet-starter-and-ramrod-extension-a1335

Ok. Got the things you recommended. Gonna start with 100 cc's, ml, not sure of the volumetric units, of BH209 and go up to 110 at a max. I believe you said 109 is your magic number right encore? I have 3 sabots. 250 sst, 250 Barnes and 290 Barnes. I believe. And the 209 primers. Going to start here on Monday and see what happens. I guess clean every 10 shots? Also, should I fire the fowlers first and gen keep track?
Think I'll shoot 10 of each to see how it goes at 100 volumetric units and ten bases on that, increase. Sound like a plan??
Thanks

Mario

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.