Tarus 44mag looking for Scope/Optics advise

TNOldsalt

Hello TNOldsalt here. Talked of handgun hunting for awhile and got me a Tarus 44Mag with the 6inch barrell. Anyway question is what kind of Optics would you go with. Scope or Red-Dot. Which ones take the shock of that 44mag round when it goes off. Thanks

For my money it is the UltraDot if I am wanting a reddot. It has no magnification but it also has no eye relief,.. quite easy to use

For the scope ..it is the Bushnell Elete 3200 handgun scope. Both of these are well known and have been tested to take the recoil of BIG revolvers...the 44 will be no problem.

I pretty much use open sights on the straight wall cartridges. I'm no help.

It all depends on what kind of hunting you plan on doing with your revolver. If you reload and have open areas to hunt, killing deer sized game out to over 100 yards is possible with the 44. If this is the case I would stick with something along the lines of a variable leupold or bushnell. If you are hunting up close and personal I would look to a Jp or Leupold dot. Most of the larger single shot handguns I have wear 2x or 4x Leupolds. None of them have never broken, even under harsh recoil of a 50AK or 500 Smith.

Erik

I agree with Freedom475. I have the ultradot 30mm on my 460xvr and it has stood up to that with no problem. I also have one on my 1911 slide mounted and it has stood up to 1000s of rounds mounted there. Oh,only have a couple hundred rounds thru the 460 with it mounted on it. But that's a lot for that beast.

had the burris variable on mine. Just too big. I took off an ultradot to put it on. Guess what the ultradot is back on. I have a 2x Leupold on another can easily hit out to 100 with it. I prefer the compact on the big revolvers if I am going to use optics. IMHO the variable big boys are for the specialty handguns. Don't get me wrong I can make groups touch at 100 with the big boy on but it was just too heavy and eye relief? well after an ultradot nothing compares in eye relief and paralax free. just something to think about.

I agree. Had an ultradot on the 460 two weeks ago,took it off and put a leupold 2x on it. I sighted it in at 100 yds and got a nice group. Got home and picked it up,looked at it for about an hour then put the dot back on. Nice group,bad feel after shooting the dot. My wife thinks I just move scopes around so I have a reason to sight them in again...no comment.

For a hunting revolver / treestand buddy I would go with either a Ultra Dot or Burris Fastfire. Handgun scopes to me are great too but they can make a handgun a bit heavy but if your gonna hunt out to 100yrds go with the scope anything inside 75yrds go with a dot.

sscoyote has the rite idea if you are looking for long range.pride and fowler make the scope already calibrated to your 44.i have it on my500 and it takes all the abuse i throw at it.great eye relief and does not distort when dialed all the way up.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.